Dimitsana to Olympia - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2009

Dimitsana to Olympia

Leaving Arcadia was much less demanding than entering it. Best of all, the weather was perfect - as it was to be for much of the next month. After our soaking on the ride in from Kalavrita, we wouldn't see significant rain for the rest of the trip.

The ride to Olympia was lovely. It began with backtracking to Karkalou - a ride we enjoyed much more this direction, under the sun; and then with a beautiful, gradual 3000 foot descent to the coastal lowlands. Along the way we stopped to look around and have lunch in Langadhia, a very attractive and unspoiled Arcadian town carved out of the side of the canyon.

Late in the afternoon we pulled up at our hotel in Olympia, our home for another two day stop. We liked the hotel, and its manager - a biker himself, he was interested in and impressed by our adventure, and offered up one of the best blessings we've received: 'Keep biking, and you will live forever'.

Roadside church, Karkalou.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Langadhia, a pretty mountain village high in central Arcadia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Central Langadhia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking in the sun at the cafe, Langadhia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A produce storefront, Langadhia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pots and staircase, Langadhia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From Langadhia the road dropped sharply to the west toward Olympia through this lovely ravine, losing about 3000' in 15 miles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beehives, Arcadia.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThis could be the ultimate beehive shot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 347 miles (558 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0