At Dimitsana - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2009

At Dimitsana

We budgeted a second day in Dimitsana so that we could explore the Lousios Gorge on our day off. This is a fascinating area - the narrow gorge is lined with a series of historical remnants and monasteries, and is a great area for exploration on foot.

Our plan for the day was a mixture of cycling and hiking. We pedalled south for about 15 miles before dropping steeply into the gorge, where we locked our bikes up and walked back upstream to Prodromou monastery, an amazing place that hangs from the side of a sheer cliff. The monastery is still in use and entertains visitors, providing those who need it suitable clothing so they can enter and view the richly frescoed interior.

From there, we could have continued walking north up the gorge all the way back to Dimitsana if it weren't for the bikes. Instead, we backtracked to them, climbed back out of the gorge, and rode back north to a different dropoff point. There, we left them again to walk back south to Filosofou monastery - an equally remarkable place clinging to the cliffs on the other side of the river from Prodromou.

There is a lot to see in this region, and we'd have been happy to have spent another day here. If we'd had the time I'd have loved to stay in Stemnitsa, the next significant village south of Dimitsana, and walk further south in the Lousios Gorge to Ancient Gortys.

Descending into Lousios Gorge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A chapel in the Lousios Gorge. The gorge is studded with monasteries and historical remains. We spent our layover day cycling and hiking through it for a closer look.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chapel, Lousios Gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prodromou monastery in the Louisos Gorge. Founded in 1167 and still in use, this is an amazing place that hangs from the sheer cliffs of the gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dressed for the occasion at Prodromou monastery. Shorts aren't permitted, but the entryway is lined with more suitable clothing for visitors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresco, Prodromou monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresco, Prodromou monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Filosofou monastary, another treasure in Lousios Gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresco, Filosofou monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresco, Filosofou monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Iconography and murals, Filosofou monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 297 miles (478 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0