At Delphi - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2009

At Delphi

We were sorry to forego the chance to see Ossios Loukas, but we made the best of our unplanned day off in Delphi by taking a hike above the town on a lovely trail that skirted the west end of the historical area and gave us a fine view down into it from above as well as impressive views back over the city, the gulf, and the Peloponnese in the distance. Further uphill, we came in sight of Mount Parnassus, still snowbound.

On the following morning we toured the ruins and were suitably impressed. They were well worth the detour, and were to be one of our favorite destinations of the tour. By midday though, we needed to barrel back down hill and head for the ferry, having to get close enough to Diakofto to make our train reservation on the following day.

Treasury of the Athenians, Delphi.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Tholos, Delphi - a 4th century BC shrine to the earth goddess Gaia. This is where it all began, in Greek mythology: Zeus released two eagles - one flew eastward, and one to the west; and they collided and fell to earth here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A staircase in Delphi, and the start of our hike into the hills above the monuments.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Overlooking the rooftops of modern Delphi, with the Gulf of Corinth 2000 feet below.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mount Parnassus, seen from our day hike above Delphi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Slow hiking above Delphi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The stadium at Delphi, seen from above on the hiking path; empty, since the site was closed for a holiday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gulf of Corinth, from Delphi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Remains of an Ionic column, Delphi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Temple of Apollo, Delphi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The theater, Delphi.
Heart 2 Comment 1
The stadium, Delphi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0