Skala Kalloni - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2012

Skala Kalloni

Skala Kalloni was the apogee for our tour of Lesvos. From here we turned east again toward Mytiline and the flight home. A feeling of closure has started setting in. For today, we have a fairly short hop to the southeast, to Skala Kallonis on the Gulf of Kalloni. The ride has the typical profile for an island ride - 1500 feet up, 1500 feet down. The first part of the ride up is similar to yesterdays, through the same dramatic volcanic landscape. Once over the top though we drop down into The different country that surrounds the gulf - flattish and cultivated. Skala Kallonis is a smallish resort and a bit of a bird watching center, with the surrounding brinish habitat providing shelter to many shorebirds at the right time of year.

Before settling in for the day though, first we checked in to our hotel long enough to drop off our bags and then left for a loop ride to the northeast past Agia Paraskevi to see the great Kremasti bridge, a graceful single arched stone structure still in use 500 years after its construction.

Returning to our hotel, we still had enough time to walk around looking for the birds (and were happy to stumble upon a black stork) before making it back to the village for the usual shoreside meal.

Admiring the animal but watching the toes, near Parakoilia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Black stork, Gulf of Kalloni
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gulf of Kalloni, with Mount Olympus beyond
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Kremastis bridge, near Agia Paraskevi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
White storks, Gulf of Kalloni
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not road kill this time, thanks to a Good Samaritan rolling by.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 1,154 miles (1,857 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0