Simi - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2012

Simi

From Rhodes we left for Simi, a small nearby island that we intended to visit for two nights as a stopover on our way north to our next main destination at Chios. Simi has two ports - a very small one at the south end of the island at the tiny Panormitis harbor, and another at the main port on the north of the island. We ferried in at Panormitis, cycled the 15 mile length of the island to the port, and ferried out from the northern port.

Panormitis is reknowned for its remarkable monastery of the Archangel Michael. It is really the only feature in Panormitis other than the harbor itself, but it is probably the main attraction on the entire island.

From Panormitis, the road south climbs almost immediately, switchbacking steeply up an escarpment to the 1500 foot summit at the crest of the island, 5 miles away. It is a slow but beautiful ride up, with sweeping views of the bay and eventually all of southern Simi and the hills of Turkey close in the distance.

After a few relatively flattish miles on top, the route drops sharply again into the the main city of the island - and surely one of the prettiest harbors in Greece. It has a wonderful setting, but is especially distinguished by its architecture - the town is dominated by colorful mansions from the 19th century, from when the town was a wealthy Ottoman harbor and sponge fishing center.

As I said, the plan was to stay in Simi two nights, with the idea of taking a day off for a hike in the surrounding hills. When we arrived though, we discovered that there was no departing ferry on the day we planned (not sure who screwed up there, but presumably the ferry company) so we hurriedly changed our arrangements and added a day to our next stopover instead, in Samos.

The lighthouse at Panormitis harbor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Disembarking at Panormitis; precision steering required!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bell tower of the Taxiarchis Michael monastery, Panormitis
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Panormitis bell tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Playing on the mosaic, Panormitis monastery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The steep ascent from Panormitis
Heart 0 Comment 0
A last look back at Panormitis harbor, with Turkey on the horizon
Heart 1 Comment 0
Simi was one of the loveliest stops of our tour
Heart 1 Comment 0
Symi is distinguished by its many colorful neoclassical mansions, built in the mid nineteenth century during the island's heyday as a sponge fishing power.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gulets and mansions, Simi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lazy Days; in retirement at Simi's harbor
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cultured walkway, in upper Simi town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bell tower, Church of Evangelismos
Heart 0 Comment 0
The clock tower, Mandraki harbor
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 17 miles (27 km)
Total: 609 miles (980 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0