Sigri and the Petrified Forest - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2012

Sigri and the Petrified Forest

Light as we travel, it's still a treat to have a day off from the luggage. Today we retraced our steps a bit, climbing back from the coast into the volcanic highlands and north to the turnoff to the next port, Sigri. In addition to Sigri itself where we had lunch, the day had two major highlights. First, we visited Ypsilou monastery, built on the highest point around atop a volcanic dome. It was the usual tough slog up - almost a pusher in a few points - and the usual stunning views. From there, we careened downhill for a few miles to the petrified forest. Surprisingly to us anyway, Lesvos has perhaps the greatest petrified forest in the world. It has dozens of remarkably well preserved sequoias, cyprus and pine, some of which are still standing. The king of the crop is a great multicolored sequoia over 20 feet tall - the largest known standing petrified tree worldwide.

Stiff climb to Ypsilou monastery. High atop a volcanic plug, it provides a wide vista over northwest Lesvos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ypsilou monastery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view west to the sea from Ypsilou monastery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ypsilou monastery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coasting toward the petrified forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
A standing pine. Lesvos has allegedly the largest petrified forest in the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Petrified trunk, Lesvos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachael giving scale to a petrified sequoia
Heart 0 Comment 0
A petrified sequoia; the tallest known standing petrified tree worldwide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Descending to Sigri and the coast
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 1,106 miles (1,780 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0