Rhodes Town, again - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2012

Rhodes Town, again

We began our day with another trek up to the fortress - worth noting because it's not an easy climb up: many steps, and a few areas with slick footing requiring attentiveness. We came up because on the first climb we arrived too late to gain access to the fortress and had to content ourselves with enjoying great views back over the town as well as up and down the coast. For our second visit, we arrived right at the opening hour and concentrated on the fortress itself before hustling back downhill for the ride back to Rhodes.

We took a longer and much more interesting route back to Rhodes than the straight shot we took on the way out to Lindos. After retracing the previous route as far as Kolimpia we turned west and crossed the center of the island at Archipoli and Elousa, arriving on the northwest coast at Soroni. This was a much prettier route, and one we would have enjoyed even more if we hadn't arrived at Soroni in the middle of a downpour. After sitting it out for awhile at a truck stop cafe we picked a break in the weather to make a dash for the rest of the ride to Rhodes. For the most part we were lucky and got in relatively dry. Our favorite part of this ride was coming in to Rhodes itself, seeing it from a different perspective as we dropped into it from the south.

The fortress at Lindos
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Lindos fortress
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing northern Rhodes, racing the approaching rainstorm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Overlooking the modern town
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 592 miles (953 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0