On the Ferry from Simi to Samos - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2012

On the Ferry from Simi to Samos

Travelling between the eastern Greek islands is complex: it requires some planning, careful attention to schedules, and transfers between different carriers. This is especially so early in the season when fewer lines are running. There are a few options to choose from but the one we chose to get from between Simi to Chios changed boats at Kos; went from there to Pythagorio on the south coast of Samos where we stayed over for two nights; and took a third ship from Vathy on the north coast of Samos on to Chios.

Travelling from Simi to Samos required a full day because of the stopover at Kos. It was an enjoyable day though, relaxing and resting up onboard and enjoying the islands as we cruised by. We also enjoyed our several hour stopover in Kos - it was long enough for lunch, a stroll along the waterfront, and a visit to the ancient agora and the nearby fortress. We were quite impressed with Kos, and especially with how bike-friendly it felt- probably the most so of any place we've seen in Greece. We'd like to come back some day and see the whole island, as well as islands we just cruised by completely.

Porta tou Farou (the gate of taxes): entryway to the ancient agora, Kos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cat fight in a tree, Kos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kos town has a beautiful, bike friendly promenade
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kos and Turkey, seeming only yards apart
Heart 0 Comment 0
Minaret and loggia: the Hassan Pasha mosque, Kos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fortress of the Knights, Kos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kalymnos, another small island we wished for the time to visit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The monastery of Saint John, Patmos
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 85 miles (137 km)
Total: 694 miles (1,117 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0