Mytilini again - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2012

Mytilini again

Last ride, and short but with a punch. Climbing away from the coast, we crossed a series of short ridges before dropping down to the coast again on the Gulf of Gera. We crossed the gulf on a pedestrian ferry at Perama, and then looped the south end of the peninsula and arrived in early afternoon back in Mytilini. Annoyingly enough we were back in the city on Sunday afternoon again, so of course once again nothing was open. If we ever make it back this way, we really should try to pass through on a different day of the week.

The big drama of the day was in repacking our bikes for the flight home. Both of our bikes had the same problem, oddly enough - the stem would not pull free from the frame at all. After many attempts I gave up, and we packed them with the quick release collar still attached - meaning that they barely fit within their suitcases. For quite a while I was not sure we were going to be able to repack our bikes at all, and it was a great relief when I managed to jam them in. They both required rebuilding and a good lube job when we got home, but fortunately weren't damaged.

Skopelos, if my notes are accurate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guard dog in training
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Skopelos: sitting in the sun, watching all the tourists roll by
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Perama ferry crosses the Gulf of Gera, giving foot and bike travelers a short cut to Mytilini.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aboard the Perama ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saint Athenasios cathedral, Mytilini
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 miles (40 km)
Total: 1,225 miles (1,971 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0