Mithymna - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2012

Mithymna

Mithymna (formerly known as Molyvos), on the northeast coast, was our first day's destination. The first half of the ride stayed close to the coast passing through a string of fishing villages, before climbing inland and up to Argennos and then dropping again to the sea.

As most everywhere on this tour, the ride was beautiful. Today's drama was provided mainly by the weather, which culminated with a series of brief downpours that found us scrambling for shelter wherever we could find it. By midafternoon though conditions had settled down and we had pleasant conditions for our ride through the higher country.

Mithymna is a beautiful little place - another colorful town draped around a hillside fortress. We stayed right on the waterfront at the Seahorse Hotel, enjoying good views of the activity in the harbor below from our hotel window. We were here for two nights, giving us time to visit the town and castle and take a day hike: on our day off, we caught the tour boat to Skala Sykaminia to the east, and then walked back again.

And, while here we ate well - one night at the Sansibal, where we ate outside on the balcony and enjoyed views over the bay as the sun went down; and the next night in Betty's Restaurant. Both were great.

A pack of laid-back guards protect the chapel; another 10 or so reinforcements are just outside the photograph.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In for a paint job, northeast Lesvos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time for a fresh coat
Heart 0 Comment 0
The northeast Lesvos coast, with a thunderstorm building in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Emergency shelter from a brief downpour
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near Argennos, on the high road to Mithymna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mithymna, also known as Molyvos
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the harbor, Mithymna
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mithymna
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shoppers alley, Mithymna
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing to Mithymna's fortress
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mithymna and the north coast, from the fortress
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mithymna
Heart 0 Comment 0
The little church at Skala Sikaminias. We took a ferry here and walked back along the coast on our day off the bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 1,018 miles (1,638 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0