Hiking in Rouvas Gorge - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2012

Hiking in Rouvas Gorge

We admit it - we're fundamentally city slickers, and northerners at that. Thunderstorms in the distant mountains were noteable as a colorful weather feature, and mostly a concern from the threat of rain. Fear of flash floods just hasn't been on our radar before now.

Our gorge hike began at nearby Lake Votamos, where we locked up our bikes. About a mile into the hike we passed Agios Nikolaos monastery at the mouth of the gorge, and then followed the hiking path upstream and into the gorge as it steadily became more rugged and dramatic. We enjoyed the stillness and the rustle of wild goats foraging in the brush.

After about an hour, we rounded a bend and unexpectedly found ourselves facing a raging river rather than the small creek we had been following so far. The hiking trail ended at the unfordable water, picking up about 20 feet away. Very surprised, and sorry to have our planned hike shortened, we turned back. Our assumption was that we were just here too early in the season.

Our surprise turned to shock and a bit of panic when we got back by the monastery and realized that the path back was also closed off by the water. This was the first time that 'flash flood' entered our conscience. Oddly, we had both been wondering to ourselves on the way back why we hadn't noticed the sound of the roaring stream on the way in. Duh. I think now that the flood must have hit just as we came to the final washed out crossing; we were very lucky that it stopped us from getting even further into the gorge, and into a more serious jam.

Fortunately, it looked like we had a possible alternate escape route around the back side of the monastery, through their garden area. Rachael set off in that direction ahead of me, but soon startled me with a load screech - she was under attack from the monastery's rooster. She escaped with a few scratches, but once out of that danger we ran up against a rugged, impassable hillside. We weren't really sure what to do next when we were called by a monk from the 2nd floor of the monastery, who pointed down and directed us to go through the basement and out the other side, leading us safely back to the road out.

Enough excitement for one day! We were more than glad to make it back to Zaros and hang out for the evening at Vegera, a laid back traditional cafe.

Storm clouds amass over the mountains behind Nivitros, east of Zaros
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our room at Keramos hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Agios Nikolaos monastery, at the entrance to Rouvas Gorge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hiking into Rouvas Gorge, enjoying the break in the storm
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wild goats, Rouvas Gorge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rouvas Gorge
Heart 0 Comment 0
The end of the line, for this day's hike
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our way back was barred by the flooding creek - the arrows, much farther apart than the photo suggests, mark the route of the hiking path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rooster of Agios Nikolaos monastery, puffed up from vanquishing Rachael, has his last word.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 321 miles (517 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0