Heraklion - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2012

Heraklion

We enjoyed clear skies once more for our ride north from Zaros to the coast at Heraklion. The day began with a steady climb eastward toward Agia Varvara, and then gradually worked its way downhill to the sea through Venerato, Profitis Ilias, Vasilies, and Knossos. We found very quiet roads until we neared Knossos; after that roadsbecame busier as we entered the build up around Heraklion, but were never really a problem.

Knossos is of course a major Minoan site and one of the top destinations on Crete; but the real excitement there was the arrival of the Olympic Flame, on its way toward the London games. Activities were just commencing when we arrived, with the gathering of camera crews, dignitaries, and the designated runner-athletes. We spent the better part of the next hour waiting for the flame to arrive and then following it through Knossos, participating in the roving scrum that followed the flame and hoped for a good view somewhere. It made for a pretty humerous scene, all in all.

After the flame passed on with all of the crowds, we settled into what we had come for in the first place and enjoyed a leisurely, quiet tour of the site. Afterwards we dropped the remaining few miles to Herlaklion, and were gratified at our hotel to find our suitcases there to greet us.

Climbing toward Agia Varvara, east of Zaros
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cretan interior, south of Knossos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flying the colors, near Profitis Ilias
Heart 0 Comment 0
Airing the laundry, Vasilies
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Olympic Flame comes to Knossos
Heart 0 Comment 0
The scrum that followed the flame's procession through Knossos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Knossos, one of the great sights of the ancient western world
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachael at Knossos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reserved for bike tours?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 364 miles (586 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0