Aghios Isidoros - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2012

Aghios Isidoros

Today, we started with a flat ride around the east side of the Gulf of Kalloni, before crossing the southern peninsula over the shoulder of Mount Olympus, the high point of the island. This was to prove the hardest climb of the trip, gaining about 2500 feet in under 10 miles before topping out at 3000 feet and then plunging precipitously to the sea. It was a beautiful ride - very quiet for the most part, especially near and beyond the summit when the road degraded to single lane and poorly surfaced. The high country was very pretty, with the woods dominated by brilliant green chestnut trees.

The major attraction for the day, other than the ride itself, was the mountain village of Agiassos, famous as a major pilgramage destination for over a thousand years. Cycling in Europe is so like this - it's always a bit of a shock to be biking through remote country to places you've never heard of before, and discover they have this remarkable history.

The ride down to the coast was steep - really too steep to be able to enjoy it. For miles we rode mostly with our brakes, working to contain our momentum and not break away. After dropping 3000 feet in 9 miles, we were relieved when we neared the coast and the road finally leveled out.

We stopped briefly for snacks at Plomari and then continued a few more miles to the tiny resort town of Agios Isodoros for a last evening relaxing on the beach until sundown. Dinner at the taverna just above our hotel was perfect - delicious grilled fresh fish, a bottle of wine, a great sunset.

Fishing boats at Achiaderi on the Gulf of Kalloni
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the Gulf of Kalloni
Heart 0 Comment 0
Agiassos, a village high on the slopes of Mount Olympus
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church of the Virgin Mary, Agiassos. This is one of the most sacred sites in Greece, and a pilgrimage destination for over a thousand years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church clocktower, Agiassos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mural inside the church of the Virgin Mary, Agiassos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chestnuts and Mount Olympus
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying an afternoon snack on the southern coast, at Plomari
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset from our dinner table, at Agios Isidoros
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 1,200 miles (1,931 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0