A day ride to the west of Chania - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2012

A day ride to the west of Chania

For our first day-ride from Chania, we cycled west along the coast to Moni Gonias at the west end of the Gulf of Chania, on an essentially flat road. We then returned through an inland route that meandered through small villages on very quiet roads: leaving the coast at Kolymvari we cycled south to Episkopi and over an 800 foot ridge to Voukolias; north to Sirili; southeast and over another 1000 foot ridge to Manoliopoulo; and then on east to Chania through Koufras, Patellari, Kirtomados and Galatas.

I had worried a bit when planning this trip about how traffic would be here, especially along the coast; but we had no problems here or really anywhere else on this year's tour. In general we found very quiet minor roads, and the few times we were on busier stretches the shoulders were sufficient to feel safe.

Weather and cycling conditions were perfect - blue skies, great scenery, mild temperatures - about all we could ask for. Highlights for the day were pretty minor, other than for a few ages-old Byzantine churches - mostly we enjoyed soaking up the sun, taking in the lush landscape, and working our way out of our jet lag. We returned to Chania in mid-afternoon, leaving us time to explore the city. All in all, a great first day.

Fisherman's shrine on the coast west of Chania
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church of the Zoodochos Pigi
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the many Byzantine churches scattered throughout Crete
Heart 1 Comment 0
Moni Gonias
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mountains and olive groves
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 53 miles (85 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0