Splash and Goldie - Reacquainting on the Continental Divide 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2021 to June 28, 2021

Splash and Goldie

Sunday was a rainy day layover in Cuba.  Breakfast at the cafe.  Dined with a young lady at breakfast riding the whole divide solo.  She is a Medical Technologist/ Teacher from Utah. Then we were joined by the bicycle messenger from San Francisco who is just a little unhinged, and is riding solo.

Back at the hotel we cleaned the bike drivetrains,  he ked maps, did laundry and made phone calls.  Met another hotel guest who is HIKING solo the divide.  Her name is "Splash". She just celebrated her 60th birthday, and posts to her YouTube channel as SPLASHHIKER.  The day ended with lots of rain.

Monday we changed our route to avoid the inevitable mid trails and opted for paved roads.  Rolling at 7am-ish and enjoyed the rolling terrain of the Sangra DeCristo Mountains.  Glanced at the shockingly low water in the Abiquiu Reservoir.  Got flagged down by two ladies who were themselves returning from a long camp trip and wanted to hear about Bikepacking.  

There were zero services along the 60 miles to our destination town of Abiquiu, so when we arrived around 3pm we hit the convenience store Bruno's, downed two burgers, ice cream and drinks.  Met a 60 year old gentleman fro Scotland who is HIKING the divide going southbound.  Man of culture, education, military service, family, and colorful adventures.

The overnight spot we chose is a Retreat that caters to bikers.  $10 for the night.  Each had our own hut/shed shelter.  Highlight is the owner, Goldie.  Self proclaimed hippie farmer moved here in the late 1960s and loves the land.  Helped push he'd car out of the mud.  That was interesting.  Then we gathered on her deck overlooking the Rio Chama and chatted till nightfall.

Tuesday we head into the mountain trails for at least two days before our next encounter with civilization.  I'm pooped.  Having a ball.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 miles (111 km)
Total: 417 miles (671 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Michelle CaldwellDave! Michele and I have been watching your GPS trucking along. I just watched Splash's YouTube post with you both in it! Looks like you're having such a great adventure meeting new people. Stay safe and we look forward to seeing where else this trip takes you!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Carolyn MillerLove reading about your trip. Sounds fantastic. A wide range of people on the trail.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago