Eight was the plan. And now There Are Two. - Reacquainting on the Continental Divide 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2021

Eight was the plan. And now There Are Two.

Are we old enough to be considered old?

Sunday practice ride, partial load and 90F. 56 mile loop. Great ride.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Dany SaarThe Natural way of the elimination process...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dany SaarTo Dany SaarThis is the natural elimination process... I hope you two be able to complete the entire ride without any issues
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Eight guys ranging in age from later 50's to later 60's, ready to ride the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route from Antelope Wells, New Mexico to Jasper, BC.  Camping, riding, touring, exploring, coming in from Metro-Detroit and from Tel Aviv, across the globe to ride in June 2020.  Except for a global pandemic, we are ready.  With a little disappointment we regrouped for the departure one year later in June 2021.  The pandemic subsided somewhat, we became a year older, and life unfolded as follows:

  • Low hemoglobin of undetermined cause.  Minus one.
  • Smashed clavicle while training.  Minus one.
  • Family end stage Pancreatic Cancer.  Minus one.
  • Hernia.  Minus one.
  • Sciatica.  Minus one.
  • Life upended and unable to travel.  Minus one.

Monday June 21 the two of us will squash our two monstrous bicycle rigs and gear into a small rental SUV, drive from Detroit to Albuquerque, return the rental to ABQ and pedal out to Grants, NM, to hop on the Continental Divide heading North.  Will our bodies hold up for the ride to Breckenridge, Colorado?  We expect to, but realistically with our luck, unknown.  Will the border to Canada be open so we can reach Jasper?  Unknown.  Will a bear try to open the Bear Vault.  Geez.  Hope not.

Last dry run this coming Sunday, fully load the bikes, ride a 30 mile loop around town, unpack 1/2 way and set up tents.  Cook on the stoves.  Filter lake water (maybe even drink it).  Repack and return home to access what broke and what we can still live without.  Too much stuff will kill the trip.  

Last night watched a YouTube video of Ryan Van Duzer pedaling the exact path we will be on in three weeks.  Ryan was there two weeks ago and walked through deep snow.  https://youtu.be/kL2vxyufCNk?t=1318  We need those snow piles to melt.  Soon.

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 56 miles (90 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kelly IniguezYou know that test your gear before you go thing? I rode a 50 mile day, went home and set up camp in the back yard.

Several days later our neighbor stopped me in concern about the state of our marriage. He presumed that we had a spat and I had kicked Jacinto out of the house! I asked if he hadn't seen my bicycle parked next to the tent. Why yes, he had. That was me sleeping in the tent, trying out my gear. Even though our neighbor confirmed my bike was there and knew about my upcoming trip - he didn't seem convinced that I would be in our own yard, sleeping in a tent, when I could have been inside in a soft bed!

Tailwind to you!

Kelly
Reply to this comment
2 years ago