Ang Thong to Sing Buri - To Begin Again - CycleBlaze

November 14, 2022

Ang Thong to Sing Buri

The Lizard Incidents

We have been waking up around 5AM (because we go to bed early).  It takes about an hour to cut up a huge papaya and eat our breakfasts in our room or out in the sitting area where there are almost always little packets of Nescafe which we might use but then complain about how bad it is.  We hit the road at 6:15 when the temperature was only 74 but the humidity was still ridiculously high.  

Heart 9 Comment 0

We were on a mission to go to a restaurant for Pad Thai, believe it or not.  I had been thinking about going to a specific place for 3 years which meant that even though it was a few miles out of our way we had to do it.  You see, we had seen a Mark Weins episode,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zAFmH4qsGc  from three years ago when he went to a restaurant way out in the country where an 85 year old woman made pad Thai.  She had perfected the making of pad Thai beyond comparison.  Plus, she used duck eggs.  We had to go find it.  

Heart 7 Comment 0

We followed canal after canal and at one point a large water monitor lizard came boiling out of the weeds by the side of the road right in front of us as we rode side by side.  I screamed! which made Andrea laugh!  The lizard gave me a look, paused and then darted for the canal on the opposite side.  It was so close and I tell you, if I had hit him I would have totally freaked out and probably ended up in the canal, where there were other monitor lizards.  I have no idea if they bite but just looking at them I wonder if I'm getting some sort of bacteria or poison in my eyes!  I had had a similar encounter the day before on a busy highway.  In that lizard incident I fortunately scared the lizard back into the brush because if he had tried to cross that highway he wouldn't have made it.  And if he had kept coming I would have veered into traffic to avoid hitting him, and not made it.

I have never seen a bougainvillea with a base this large. It's like old growth.
Heart 10 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0

I thought we were too early for pad Thai which is more of a lunch item.  It was only 8AM.  I searched for a coffee place so we could slow down enough to be there for lunch time.   I mean, what time does an 88 year old woman wake up?  And what time does an 88 year old woman start making pad Thai?  These were the questions I pondered as I looked for coffee and shook off the shock of running into a monitor lizard.  

We found the place all right.  The problem was that she didn't cook on Mondays.  The restaurant was completely closed on Mondays.  An 88 year old woman does not work on Mondays and she sure as hell doesn't make pad Thai on Mondays.  We were devastated.  We sat on a bench next to a canal in front of her restaurant and basically cried.  I suggested sitting there for 24 hours but Andrea wouldn't have it.  It was just bad luck.  I had really looked forward to, of course, eating her pad Thai but also honoring her in some way because a person's 88th year is especially auspicious.  

The restaurant. The closed restaurant.
Heart 6 Comment 5
Bruce LellmanTo Kristen ArnimWe stayed in a town 11 miles from here and the next morning I was going to ask Andrea if she was up for riding down for pad Thai and back and then having our regular day of about 30 additional miles. I decided not to bring it up though. If it wasn't so early in our trip (out of shape) and if the humidity was less than 95% it could have been totally doable. But, like you said, "Next time."
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesIt was fun seeing the restaurant in your photo, exactly as in the Mark Weins video. Mark is so indefatigably upbeat! He will go "Oh Wow" and have his eyes sparkle, for an In and Out burger, a Montreal bagel, or a burrito. He never ever says "oh, yuck", but I love that about him. Didn't know about his restaurant till now.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Andrea BrownTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWe're big fans too.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Bruce LellmanTo Steve Miller/GrampiesBeing as positive as Mark Weins is all the time is totally contagious. Should we all be as upbeat all the time. He just makes me smile.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Here is a photo of the woman when she was probably only 80. The pad Thai chef extraordinaire.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekI guess I can accept her decision to take Mondays off, but I don't have to like it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We continued on our way next to gurgling canals struggling to still drain their excess water weeks after the flooding.  We wound around vast areas of flooded fields on dikes both paved and dirt.   We finally found a coffee place and splurged on some ice lattes but they were not served by an 88 year old woman, nor were there duck eggs involved and they certainly didn't taste like pad Thai but it was nice coffee made by a very nice young woman.  She seemed shy and a little bit tense and unsure.  I seriously doubt she had ever made coffee for foreigners and therefore she was nervous about it because she probably thought we knew more about lattes than she.  Little did she know!  

Our coffee maker. Doesn't she look terrified!
Heart 10 Comment 2
Scott AndersonMaybe there’s a monitor lizard crawling up behind you?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The coffee was excellent and we continued our watery route observing all the massive attempts to prevent flooding by hauling tons of clay to make berms which were now being pushed over the sides by backhoes.  We were only prevented from our route twice and once we waited while a fire tanker truck hosed clay off the ramp to a pedestrian bridge. We saw thousands of waterlogged banana plants toppled over.  Then there was a helicopter above and I thought how a few years back the King would have been in that helicopter assessing the damage and deciding how best to improve everything for the Thai people.  It's a far cry from the current King who is probably in his mansion in Germany deciding which of his concubines to use or which fancy car to take a ride in or which gun to shoot; his three top interests.  

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 10 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Banana plants can't sit in water for long.
Heart 7 Comment 0

We were in downtown Sing Buri by noon and stopped to have a bowl of noodle soup ($.80) We assessed our options as to where we might stay and decided that since we had a more basic place last night we might splash out a little bit and get a nice room that included breakfast.  We chose the big newish Golden Dragon Hotel for $17.  Then, immediately forgetting that breakfast was included, I went in search of a papaya.   Not a problem really, to have a papaya along is always a good thing.

Into the handlebar bag the papaya goes.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Gregg ButenskyPerfectly sized papaya bike unit!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We found the immaculate Golden Dragon with all its polished granite and marble and ostentatious lobby.  The place was enormous with no one other than the receptionist.  Of course we were told we could not bring our bicycles inside.  Dark clouds had threatened to rain on us all day but as the day went on they looked more ominous.  We put our bikes under an overhang and locked them with two simple cables that anyone with one of those things could snip in two seconds.  So far it has never been a problem for us in S.E. Asia.  

In our transporting of all our panniers from our bikes to an elevator and then up and into our room, Andrea's water bottle went missing.  We asked the receptionist but she hadn't seen it. 

Our room was huge and beautiful - luxury for us.  We had already seen much of Sing Buri and doubted there was much more to see.  We luxuriated in our room because I guess that's what you do when you are tired from riding in heat and humidity all day and you have a luxurious room.  Later Andrea sent me down with a photo of a similar water bottle and I showed it to the receptionist.  She went, "Ahh!" but still had no idea what happened to it.  

Using all available furniture in our room to dry things.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Is anyone else staying here?
Heart 6 Comment 0

While I was down there I went in search of a restaurant because if they were offering breakfast maybe they could make us dinner as well.  There was a restaurant and I surprised the two girls "working" there who were in deep conversation.  One of them shot up almost to attention, flustered.  I simply wanted to take a menu up to our room which they were relieved to give me.  Their actions told me they knew no English and hoped I would go on my way.

Then it poured down rain.  Inches of rain, lightning and thunder.

Later we went down to have dinner and were surprised that there was a table full of Thais and a D.J. on stage playing music with his sound machine and singing.  I think one of the oldest women was celebrating her possibly 80th birthday and her friends had gone all out and gotten a D.J.  They were having a ball and were great entertainment while we ate a rather delicious dinner which bode well for breakfast.  

A surprisingly delicious dinner.
Heart 7 Comment 0

I was still wondering how there could be a buffet breakfast if so few people were staying at the Golden Dragon.  I went to ask the receptionist what time breakfast would be served and she proudly presented me with Andrea's water bottle!  She was beaming.  I was shocked and thanked her profusely.  I brought it to the table and Andrea's mouth just fell open.  Neither of us thought we would ever see that water bottle again.  Andrea immediately left the table to thank the receptionist.  So much explanation is lost when there is no common language so we will never know the whole story.  But the music the D.J. was playing needed no interpretation.  The Thais went up on stage and sang karaoke and fun was had by all.  Great entertainment at the near empty Golden Dragon Hotel.  

lovebruce

Heart 9 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 75 miles (121 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 16
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Chris WeeWe planned on Phed Mark's kraphao cafe last week after taking the BTS to Pak Nam n it's 25 storey observation tower by the river.
Cafe was open alright on Sat, but with 20 people mingling outside. It seems the Indian middle class have discovered Thailand.
Waitress said an hour to wait. For 169b a plate.
Nope, we walked 400m past Ekkamai, to a great wanton noodle shop. Got a few places like this bookmarked on Google maps, just in case.
I blame recommendations from 2 years of you tube.
BTW lots of khao soi waiting for you in the North!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ron SuchanekYou could have subtitled this "The Lizard Incidents".
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Ron SuchanekGood idea.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Chris WeeMark Weins' restaurant is a ripoff if you ask me. I'd much rather go to an actual Thai restaurant for a quarter the price. I enjoy and respect him in his success with videos and they are very educational but with a tremendous income from YouTube he really didn't need a restaurant also. He's quite the entrepreneur.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonBe sure to take a close-up photo of the next lizard you see. Also the monkeys.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonI’m sorry you didn’t get your pad Thai but it sounds like you had a good day anyway.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonOh, yeah, you come over here and get close to one of these creepy lizards. Of course you have that camera that can zoom in like eagles' eyes. The two monkeys we saw were gone within seconds. If we come across more I will certainly photograph them or they will snatch my camera and photograph us!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Rachael AndersonIt's always a good day. For sure it was a big disappointment to not get to meet the old pad Thai chef after thinking about it for three years. But I always try to drum up sympathy for myself too. It's all about sympathy for me!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago