A Week of Movement but not by Bicycle - Days 5 & 6 - To Begin Again - CycleBlaze

December 30, 2022 to December 31, 2022

A Week of Movement but not by Bicycle - Days 5 & 6

Bangkok

Typical Bangkok traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The only thing we really had to do in Bangkok was jettison some of the stuff (coffee, warm clothing) we didn't need to cart around on our trip down south.  We filled a duffel bag and brought it to a friend's apartment.  He is babysitting our cardboard bike boxes for us in the hallway of his apartment building.  He wasn't home when we went there so we stuffed the duffel bag inside one of the cardboard boxes and hoped that no one would take any of our stuff, especially that coffee.  The boxes only need to hang out there another three weeks.

Our other friends had left Bangkok so mostly what we were going to do in Bangkok was wait out New Year's.  We didn't want to risk not finding accommodation in Hua Hin, our next destination by train.  We have bitter memories when we stupidly went to Sihanoukville, Cambodia on New Year's Eve and found no rooms available in the entire city.  It was bad, a low point in all our travels.  Whenever we are posed with the same sort of risk we say, "Remember Sihanoukville!"  

We were playing fast and loose with New Year's Eve again, since we had no reservations in Bangkok either.  We never learn!   We breezed into the Krungkasem Srikrung Hotel right across the street, and canal, from Hua Lamphong Train Station early in the morning of the 30th and fortunately got a room.  But they were telling us New Year's Eve was most likely fully booked.  They didn't know for certain and told us to ask them again in the morning.  

I have come to really love this hotel in Bangkok due to its convenient location to the train station and its outstanding buffet breakfast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The front desk of The Krungkasem Srikrung Hotel in Bangkok.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view from our room at The Krungkasem Srikrung Hotel looking across a canal (klang) to Hua Lamphong Train Station. A very convenient hotel if coming into Bangkok by train with a bike. Notice the new solar powered klang taxis.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In the morning they told us they still didn't know and to ask around noon.  That made me nervous, to wait that long.  At noon they said they were definitely fully booked.  It was a huge letdown because it meant we would have to go out into Bangkok, enormous Bangkok, with all of our stuff on loaded bikes and try to find another hotel on New Year's Eve!  Why do we get ourselves into these situations!  It was Sihanoukville all over again!  

We hung our heads in despair and went to our room to pack up our things.  While in the midst of packing, our room phone rang.  That never happens.  Andrea answered and it was the front desk saying there had been a cancellation and we could have a room!  Unbelievable luck!

The front desk staff actually liked us and wanted us to stay which is why we got first dibs on the newly available room, I think.  I just bet there was a waiting list but they were kind enough to give it to us.  I think it pays to be very polite to Thais at any front desk and better yet, in interactions with Thais at a front desk it is most important to make them laugh.  If you have the opportunity to joke around with them, then you are in!   Anyway, we were incredibly relieved to not have to go out on the streets of Bangkok looking for a room.

We moved to the available room which turned out to be exactly two floors above where we had been.  The room was identical to the one we had just come from and it was like a surreal dream walking into it.  Had we just left or had we just arrived?  I know we never left the building!

The main reason I love The Krungkasem Srikrung Hotel - their buffet breakfast. This is an old-time Thai family-run hotel. One of the family members is on the far left overseeing that everything goes well at breakfast. This is a very well run hotel and breakfast.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jen RahnWow! That looks fantastic.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Jen RahnI love this setting, the buffet and the family members who run this hotel. It's a classy and well run operation. And the buffet is fantastic.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Krungkasem Srikrung Hotel's buffet breakfast area.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hua Lamphong Train Station from our hotel room.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hua Lamphong Train Station in the heart of Bangkok.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Historical photo of Hua Lamphong Train Station.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Historical photo of Hua Lamphong Train Station, Bangkok. Built in 1925.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even the manhole covers in the area near to Hua Lamphong Station are train related.
Heart 2 Comment 0

What was also kind of surreal was that nothing was open in Bangkok on New Year's Eve.  I have never seen Bangkok so rolled up.  There were no restaurants open either, at least in our neighborhood.  We walked all over the place and all we saw were shut metal doors that roll down that completely seal off the opening of stores.  It was as if a typhoon was about to hit at any minute.  There was nothing to do in Bangkok!  

At a restaurant the evening of Dec. 30th. We found nothing open the next evening.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bangkok, New Year's Eve day and it is rolled up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bangkok, New Year's Eve day and nothing is open.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In busy congested Bangkok shop owners take the time and effort to have these little gardens on the sidewalks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The pot is an old tire.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It's legal to sell cannabis in Thailand now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But the area around Mustang Blu was not deserted. Mustang Blu is an ultra hip hotel/bar/cafe that doesn't look like much from the outside but the inside, I guess, is quite fantastical with a tall iron circular stairway and really tall columns. The paint in every room has been peeling away for a hundred years creating a look! The rooms are $225 a night and are quite huge so it is common for groups to rent a room for the night. The food is also unique and looks delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At dinner time we had to go to 7-Eleven (of course it was open) and buy a couple of cups of noodles that we could heat up in our room.  We also bought some spicy shrimp double barbecue chips, and some more Oreos.  We wanted a beer to celebrate New Year's but the beer was all blocked off again, not for sale.  I didn't understand that at all.  So, we went back to our room, heated up some water, had our tom yum bowls of noodles (that were surprisingly good) and sat around until about 8PM when we were exhausted from eating junk and we went to bed.  

New Year's Eve - Bangkok.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonSurreal. Looks as so many places during Covid.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Our New Year's Eve dinner! We know how to celebrate.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnI can just hear that guy on the screen saying, "Get out your spicy shrimp double barbeque chips and Oreos, folks! Let's party!!"

🪅🥳🎊
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We were several hours into sleep when we were awakened by what sounded like a war going on.  We went out onto our huge balcony (6th floor) and watched the fireworks.  They were impressive across the massive city.  The best display of fireworks was on the other side of our building but were perfectly reflected in a tall building we could see, a building made of glass.  It was a unique way to watch a fireworks display.  And so it was 2023 and we went back to bed.  We were headed to Hua Hin on the coast by train in the morning, our last leg of a week basically off our bikes.

One of the thousands of famous Bangkok Tuk Tuks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

lovebruce

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI’m so happy to hear you didn’t have to change rooms! You’re New Year’s Eve sounds similar to many of ours while on tour.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago