Logistics of a one way tour: It's enough to drive one crazy! - The Granny Panties Tour - CycleBlaze

Logistics of a one way tour: It's enough to drive one crazy!

Oren and I both ride long recumbent bicycles. Jacinto has a diamond frame bicycle. We need to get three bikes to Sumas, WA. Shipping them is out. Been there, done that. It wasn't such a great experience. Transporting our long bikes is a real challenge. We were going to do a rental car (Dodge Caravan) but after checking several different companies, they don’t allow specialty vehicles out of their town of origin, only regular cars. A moving truck was our next option. We've done that before, although it's been a number of years. We were quite surprised at how the price has gone up. uHaul was almost exactly twice the price of Budget truck. $1,200. from Rifle, CO to Sumas, WA for uHaul. $610. from Rifle to Bellingham, WA for Budget. We are taking the Budget truck. :) We will have to ride from Bellingham to Sumas to start the tour, but I can ride 23 miles for $500.

We are going to divide and conquer. The guys are driving the Budget truck straight to Bellingham. I am driving Oren’s pick up to Reno, leaving it at the hotel, then flying to Bellingham (only $109. with taxes). We will then drop off the Budget truck in Bellingham and ride the 23 miles to Sumas for the start of the tour.

Had we rented a Budget truck to come home from Tahoe, it would be $800. Plus Budget trucks have only two seats and there are three of us. It was cheaper to pay the $100. to leave the pick up at the Comfort Inn ($25 per week). Originally we were going to leave the pick up at the airport, but that was $10. a day, even in the long term parking. Ah, all of the little details of a one way trip.

Edit - on 6/8 - Oren said he had a phone call from the uHaul place in Tahoe offering the truck for half price. At $400. That would be an attractive price compared to the very long drive and paying gas/lodging/food/parking in Reno. Plus you could then finish in nice South Lake Tahoe rather than busy, busy Reno.

Also - our 10' Budget truck from home to Bellingham did have three seats. Their website states you have to go up one in size to get three seats. Perhaps they are changing their fleet?

I've included prices and names to help with logistics for those who might want to use this journal as reference.

We have already agreed our next tour will be an uncomplicated circle tour, close to home!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0