Day 7: Pedder Bay to Sooke (Sunny Shores Marina) - Grampies Go with the Grands Summer 2014 - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2014

Day 7: Pedder Bay to Sooke (Sunny Shores Marina)

We went down to the still, early morning waters by the boat floats to look for our seal, but no luck. He must be out fishing. Fishing starts here at 5:00 a.m. which is when the marina opens (5:30 after August). We took advantage of this to order their breakfast sandwiches, called the "eye opener". We were very happy with that, plus sandwiches and cookies to take along for lunch. The only thing, we are short one dry erase marker, critical for our activity cards, which have instructions like (out of 10) circle the five pairs of identical snowmen. Once you do it once, dry erase is essential for more fun later. So what kind of marina does not supply dry erase markers!!

The seal is out fishing
Heart 0 Comment 0
The balancing logs
Heart 0 Comment 0

Matheson Lake is close by Pedder Bay. It is a small (but not too small) freshwater spot with a nice beach at one end. We set off with our bathing suits already on so we could dive right in when we would arrive. When she was a teenager, Avi and Violet's mom would often swim here, and the path around the lake makes for a great hike. When we arrived the lake was mirror calm, and we sort of squandered our chance by just wading at first, thinking we had lots of time for swimming. But quite quickly a cold wind sprang up and blew off the lake. The sun was hidden by the trees behind us, so we sat shivering on the rocks. We looked at our clock and figured how long it would take in this season for the sun to rise above the trees. We waited for it, but decided it was being too pokey. So we pulled out our after swim sandwiches ate them, and called it quits.

We are here, at Matheson Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
The way out of Matheson
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Matheson Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
Didn't show Avi and Violet this one
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Matheson, a butterfly landed on Violet
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Galloping Goose runs right by the lake, so we quickly got back on track. Although the paved portion of the trail, nearer to Victoria, is nice, the gravel bit has perfectly groomed fine gravel and travels through absolutely lovely forest. In most areas it is like a treed tunnel - peaceful and (mostly) flat. The mostly part of mostly flat refers to four gulleys along the way that make for short but steep pushes. We had to unload the children and scrabble our little feet in the loose gravel to get up these. Even so, would have to say the section between Pedder Bay and Sooke rates among the best there is.

With the closure this year of the Land Conservancy campsite at the Sooke Potholes, we scouted out Sunny Shores as an alternative. They have lots of space and tables under trees, and a playground. There is also a very small very Ma and Pa type motel on the grounds, and we were thinking the kids could get a kick out of a motel stay. But the lady insisted we were four "people" and wanted $100. After just a few days out with the kids, I think I could have effectively debated that "people" designation! Oh well, the sky is blue and the tent is fine.$25.20 with tax.

We stopped really early this day, planning a long one tomorrow - to include the potholes and the long trek back to Pedder Bay. We could go into the town of Sooke, but the road is busy and the Goose does not take us there. So we are planning a stroll over to the Shell gas station later where we hope to find a selection of typically poisonous gas station food! If no luck, we will dispatch our least valuable asset (me) to brave the traffic and hunt up some grub! (Editor's note: in reading this back to Dodie, she graciously denied that I was our least valuable asset. I guess she's right - who else could write this wonderful blog!)

Grinding up and out of Matheson Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
This hill is really tough - push that Grandpa!
Heart 0 Comment 0
At another Galloping Goose rest stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roche Cove
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the sooke Basin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blackberries are ripe all along the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
From Pedder Bay to Sooke the trail often resembles a tunnel of trees
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing trees at Sunny Shores
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camping spots at Sunny Shores
Heart 0 Comment 0
The story of Saseenos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our camp at Sunny Shores
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avi found this crab shell behind a tree
Heart 0 Comment 0
Collecting broken glass
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 13 km (8 miles)
Total: 188 km (117 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0