Day 3: Cobble Hill to Sidney - Grampies Go with the Grands Summer 2014 - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2014

Day 3: Cobble Hill to Sidney

We set the alarm for really early out of general concern for missing the Mill Bay to Brentwood Bay ferry, especially with the heavy weight of the Weehoos, kids and gear, and the numerous, if gentle, hills along the way. Time concerns or not, we took the time to prepare "Egg McBagels" and hot chocolate. Unlike any McDonald's, the eggs were free range from our farm, the bagels were from Mount Royal bagels in Victoria, and the hot chocolate was made from actual milk. So we could reasonably expect a good amount of pedal power, at least to start.

Egg McBagels or not, the Dodie/Violet team seemed to have to push up the hill leading out of our driveway. They soon dubbed themselves the "Weaklinks" team. This was a bit unfair, because overall on the day they did really well.

We had decided to cycle on road to the ferry, despite no shoulder on the first road, and lots of traffic on the Trans Canada Highway - though there is a shoulder there. We had Laurie and Dave riding shotgun, but even Laurie was a little freaked by the highway traffic.

We arrived at the ferry terminal an hour early - having been fast enough to almost make the earlier one, but now with an unfortunate wait. No matter there is lots to look at at a ferry terminal for kids, and the Grampies can always pass the time answering UQ's.

When the ferry came, we got on first, and because there were few enough cars the man could give our bikes a good area to themselves. It is quite a short hop across to Brentwood Bay, but still long enough to settle in and enjoy the sea cruise. This time, for the first time among our trips across this piece of water, the surface was covered with a really dirty looking algal bloom. This can be natural in warm summer weather, but it is also helped along by phosphate runoff from the human population. It was really yucchy.

Laurie was eager to find a coffee and snack, after the pedal to the ferry, and I was promising a cafe on the other side. It was there, but closed, so all we got was a 1/2 km hill, up from the dock. Not long after that we did come to a coffee shop and poured in as if we had been crossing the Prairies, or something, all day. People ordered all kinds of stuff, turning the stop into lunch, though there was some talk of staging a second lunch once we would reach Sidney.

We swooped down to the east side of the peninsula, and crossed the main highway on a pedestrian/cycle overpass. Then at last we were on the Lochside Trail. Unfortunately, in this northern section of the trail the cycles are on a marked lane in the road, rather than on a dedicated cycle path. So this no doubt did little to convince Laurie that we were taking her kids only on a safe and quiet cycle path.

On the outskirts of Sidney we had another look at the Anacortes ferry terminal, where later we would drop Laurie and Dave. Then we pedalled into that best part of Sidney where Beacon Avenue reaches the sea. We almost immediately stumbled onto the Aquarium of the Salish Sea. We knew this was in Sidney, and had planned to look for it tomorrow, but here it was! This was so amazingly great, because the Aquarium focuses exclusively on the exact spot we are at, and because now we had Laurie and Dave to help us enjoy it.

The Salish Sea is sort of an exciting name that is given to what technically may still be the Gulf of Georgia - the area to the north and south, eastward from Sidney, containing the Gulf Islands and the San Juan Islands. The Salish name is given in deference to the Coast Salish native peoples of this region.

The aquarium has a lot of hands on and kid centred displays, and docents (dubbed Oceaneers) for guidance. The tanks feature smaller but very colourful sea creatures, like anemones, and each one is a lovely picture like scene. Avi in particular was really trying to take advantage of this with his camera.

With the help of an Oceaneer, Violet built up a felt board depiction of an eel grass garden, and both kids were thrilled with the hands on, gentle touching, tank. Violet reminds us that she touched a blue starfish. I guess I could say that it was also great having their riparian biologist Mom there to help with interpretation, but since we are that biologist's parents, we were also pleased to be taking her to something that we know she loves.

As in every well managed place like this, the people are led through a gift shop before exiting. Unlike some, this shop was in good taste, and had some very worthwhile offerings. Among these were some well chosen books. One I noticed covered the Great Bear Rainforest, and area on the mainland coast north of here that was made famous by its white bears, called Spirit bears. This, as well the aquarium, helped remind us that while Europe is great, this place too has some unique and wow stuff.

After a look in the gift shop, we returned to the display area to witness feeding time. This drew out the wolf eels, which normally hide in the rocks or in pipes that are provided for them. These creatures are both ugly and beautiful.

We then slowly strolled through the gift shop and out, regrouping on a bench just outside. But, no Dodie! Avi and I went back in and could not spot her. Had she slunk off to the washroom? We ran around the outside of the building to where the bikes were locked. No Dodie. We went back in the front entrance, no Dodie. Violet started to cry. It's hard to deal with the loss of your grandmother, at any age. Eventually Dodie emerged from the gift shop ticked off because we had "abandoned" her there. OK, at least the team was back together!

For our next activity, Laurie - having read our European blogs - suggested that we needed an eis cafe. But where would we find that, I wondered. "How about over by that huge sign across the street that says ICE CREAM", was the reply. The place not only had ice cream, but also poutine. Poutine is a (to me) despicable mixture of french fries, brown gravy, and cheese curds, It was invented in Quebec and has spread across the continent. Laurie and Dave like it alot. So it was eis and poutine cafe for us!

Still demonstrating her command of those other blogs, Laurie then led us to the adjacent bakery.This is the same one where earlier I had poo pooed the "German Chocolate Cake", suggesting the bakery should stick to what they know. This time we spotted a good candidate for that, "Canadian Maple Whoopies". However, sticking to what she knows, Laurie went for the Nanaimo bars. It's not as if she would get to sample the products one way or another, because the kids gobbled it all up.

In this most pleasant spot, the kids also got to retrace some bits that Amelia had earlier found - the chance to watch a crab fisherman on the pier, and to explore the beach beside. Then it was time to zip back to the ferry and see Laurie and Dave off. "I love you, as much as sixty kangaroos", or words to that effect.

Now on our own, we cut back through town and north to the campground. As we had hoped, we found the hiker/biker spots completely unoccupied. We chose our "traditional" one, pioneered by Amelia. Violet filled out the registration, writing our mode of transport very clearly, BIKES.

It's almost dark now in this rather deep forest. The kids can still sort of see their craft projects. I will try to upload some photos, but you may have to guess what they are, since captions may have to wait.

Adjusting the Weehoo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ready to go!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding shotgun
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting at the ferry terminal
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach by the ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off on a sea cruise
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brentwood Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Danger of Limbo!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Up the Peninsula
Heart 0 Comment 0
We arrive on the north end
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little photogrqapher
Heart 0 Comment 0
Housing facing the water
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the town of Sidney
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avi and Violet also ran inbto dog training people. Dog training must be big in Sidney.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In front of the aquarium
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aquarium of the Salish Sea
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dramatic jellyfish display was hard to get in focus, probably because of the thick glass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the touching area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Motifon a tee shirt at the gift shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another ative inspired tee shirt design
Heart 0 Comment 0
An Orca skull on display at the gift shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This local Orca was a well known member of a local pod. Died at a ripe old age.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Spirit Bear from the Great Bear Rainforest, depicted in a book at the gift shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hummingbird on a tee short
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eis cafe!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Satisfied customer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poutine - hmmmm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canadian specialty, at the Sidney bakery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lady had several large crabs, caught right at the Sidney pier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking for "sea glass" at the Sidney beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Violet and the sea
Heart 0 Comment 0
Violet was a very effective tent peg pounder
Heart 0 Comment 0
Activites at our campsite table
Heart 0 Comment 0
This shows the extent of the "Salish Sea"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Out camping registration, filled in by Violet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 95 km (59 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0