Louisiana in Retrospect - Grampies Go South Spring 2014 - CycleBlaze

February 17, 2014

Louisiana in Retrospect

Something written on Day 38 helps to summarize Louisiana:

About now I was trying to get my mind around the contrasts in what we have been experiencing. On the one hand we have the principled actions of the Methodist musical director, the generosity of Bruce and Sam, and the elegant hospitality of David and Marieanne. We have the French Quarter, the skilled musicians, the wonderful cuisine. But on the other hand we have a society totally enraptured and enslaved by the automobile, by national franchise businesses, with people living hand to mouth, and with some so cruel as to kick a puppy out at a gas station. I also thought of Cindy Weber, struck off her bike by a careless driver in adjacent Texas, the driver not so much as receiving a citation. Mostly, I cursed whoever screwed up this shoulder!

After writing this, being chased by dogs all day long also became a factor. At the same time we passed into the Cajun areas and got a great Boudin at a restaurant run by an immigrant family from Gujarat, India.

Louisiana Pros and Cons

Pros

New Orleans food and music
New Orleans French Quarter
Audubon Zoo
Chance to see effects of Hurricane Katrina
Houses on stilts near Lake Pontchartrain
Cajun heritage areas in the west
Rice and crawfish farms
Pine forests
Bayous and swamps

Cons

Loose dogs, caged dogs, abused dogs
No shoulder roads
No cycle paths
Few or no bike shops
Few true camping grounds
Cajun areas really show little Cajun culture
Access to New Orleans difficult by cycle
Lots of overt expressions of racism from white people

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 2
George HallHaving just ridden the Great Rivers South route (which overlaps with the Southern Tier from downtown New Orleans to north of Baton Rouge), I must say that I agree with and can relate to your state summaries of Alabama and Louisiana. I think those summaries can generally be applied to most of the southern United States. I'm considering the Southern Tier route for my next adventure, but I think it's too soon after the Great Rivers South - I can only take so much of our "bottom 10" states at a time! Using your journal for research, thanks for publishing it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo George HallAh, a golden oldie. Glad our travels were helpful to you.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago