Day 64: Sanderson to Wild Camp 35 km east of Marathon - Grampies Go South Spring 2014 - CycleBlaze

March 9, 2014

Day 64: Sanderson to Wild Camp 35 km east of Marathon

The handimart across the street from the motel (called Stripes) was really pretty good. Not only do they have fresh fruiit for less than Walmart, but they have breakfast tacos, in eight varieties. These are only 99 cents each, also an excellent deal.

I zipped across the street to pick up some of these, at 6 a.m. when the store opens. To my horror, the same headwind that had stopped us yesterday was still blowing out there, in just the same way. I returned wondering if I should tell Dodie about it. She was in front of our room loading the bikes and remarked that the headwind was gone. It was just the sheltetr of the building, but I let it pass. The weather forecast called for NNE winds, so why NW was blowing out there was a mystery.

We ate our tacos and in about 30 minutes were out at the road. No wind, nothing, not a breath! Wow, who's asking questions, let's go!

It's worth noting that although this was 6:30, it was still dark because daylight savings time was now in effect. So it was our standard drill of full flashers and lights, at least for a while. This stretch of road has lost the big trucks, which have mostly headed up to I-10, and was mostly deserted. There was no spectacular dawn this time because of the cloud cover. Before too long, though, this cloud cover contrived to hail on us, later converting to rain. This did not dampen our parade, though, because without wind, rain is just rain.

Through the day, the rain disappeared and we eventually could take off all our warm gear. A wind did come up, but it was mostly from the side or slightly behind.

Overcast dawn on the road out of Sanderson
Heart 0 Comment 0

A couple of hours out, we were surpised and pleased to have two cyclists come up from behind. This turned out to be Lukas and Elisabeth, from Switzerland - near the Bodensee! These two had started at Orlando and were headed for San Diego and Los Angeles. They seemed older than us, but were much more lightly loaded and much faster. After exchanging addresses and receiving their offer to come stay with them in Switzerland, we watched them boogie off. I followed for just a bit and estimated that they are normally pedalling at 18 kph.

Lukas, from Switzerland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie and Elisabeth, maybe they will meet again - in Europe
Heart 0 Comment 0

With our heavy loads and maybe lesser conditioning, we were surprised to find our speed up the fairly consistent gentle climb toward Marathon to be under 10 kph. At that rate we could not reach Marathon, but only our picnic spot, 35 km out.

We arrived to find our spot waiting just where we figured it would be. This time, though, there was a sign whose wording would allow an RV or truck to stay for 24 hours, but prohibited tents. Again we say "What is wrong with these people!" We also of course said phooey on your sign!

While we were sitting, just starting to write this and get some food going, one of those city bus sized RVs, towing an SUV, pulled in. The driver came over to have a chat with us. Just as we had the other day learned more about big truck driving, now we got to understand something about this giant RV phenomenon. The occupants were Clovis and Ann Gentihomme, originally from New Hampshire. They had been on the road four years, and were in the process of finally selling their home up north. About 70 years old, this was how they were choosing to spend their retirement. Clovis was full of information about places they had been and activities they do other than sticking in the bus. So although the giant RV might seem at first rather decadent, it was actually minimalist, relative to living in a giant house (like we usually do). These folks were very friendly and interested in our rides. Together with truck drivers, motor cyclists, and bicycle tourists, they are part of a community of people "on the road". (Note, I excluded ordinary RV drivers and other motorists - to be a club you have be exclusive somehow!).

Our road today
Heart 0 Comment 0
The objects shown in this piece of metal art above a ranch gate are the main iconic things of this region. GRAMPIES CONTEST: If you are first to correctly name all 14 items, win a colourful Don't Mess With Texas sticker, and the admiration of the CGOAB community. Send replies asap to shadybrook at shaw dot ca !
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evidence of Spring - submission #2
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evidence of Spring - submission #2
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evidence of Spring - original submission
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clovis and Ann, by their RV-permanent home
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is a deep/slash in Dodie's rear tire. This will need attention soon. We have tire boots and also a spare Schwalbe Racer (folded) !
Heart 0 Comment 0
The despicable notice that we ignored.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our wild camp 35 km short of Marathon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 3,852 km (2,392 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0