Day 3: Miami to Key West: We actually rack up some kms, errr maybe a few, anyway. - Grampies Go South Spring 2014 - CycleBlaze

January 7, 2014

Day 3: Miami to Key West: We actually rack up some kms, errr maybe a few, anyway.

The day started with the Grampies, troubles far behind them now, snoozing in a soft bed until the crazy hour of 7. Then it was down to the breakfast room for the buffet. That is, a real buffet rather than the cereal and toast variety found in many motels. We knew enough not to actuially choose the buffet, but went with choices with names like The Classic. This delivered six or eight slices of bacon, lots of toast, two eggs, bottomless coffee, etc. That was mine, Dodie is way more conservative and always asks for oatmeal and fruit.

Best of all was something we have noticed since getting to Miami, We are in a extreme white folks minority. We have spoken to people from Cuba, Haiti, Asia, Mexico, French parts of Africa, Chile, and native black people. Without exception, each of them has been sooo cute: Physically gorgeous, because they lack our pallid skin, polite and helpful, and speaking languages we wish we could do too.

Breakfast fruit, fairly tropical.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Classic American breakfast
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical view of Miami from our SUV
Heart 0 Comment 0

So we hopped in our SUV and headed for Key West.First stop, though was Homestead, where we knew there was a Sports Experts. People here have NO IDEA about lightweight campstove gaz, These Experts were our only hope, Ha, If it``s not Coleman, forget it. They thought maybe they might get some sometime, but that was the limit of their effort. It means cold food for us for the foreseeable future.

In desperation we stopped at a Tourist Information. Dodie predicted thay would only know about glass bottomed boat tours. Correct, But I did get a great Key West sticker!

Great Tourist Information, if you want a tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Hwy 1 is very heavily travelled and slow moving. So it meant we just dawdled down to Key West, and arrived with the light failing a bit. All day there had been a strong and cold north wind, and now it started to spit, Fortunately the airport has covered parking, and we paid to go in there, Fedex was also nearby, and so was the car return, So we quickly calculated the best order of operations, taking into account when things would close on us, and actually managed to return the car, pull the bikes from the cases, and ship the empty shells to Aunt Sophie in Tucson.

Oops, only thing it was now dark and the bikes and bags were in pieces on the parkade floor. But yes, the parkade had lights, and so did we. So in just about three hours we rebuilt, readjusted, reloaded the bikes and were ready to go find Leo's Campground in the dark.

We set off along the waterside, with me hoping to see some sharks or something in the mangroves (in the dark - eager tourist, not too bright). With our bikes only crudely adjusted and load balanced, Dodie we more interested in not falling in with anyone who might be lurking in there. In the pitch black and bucking the cold wind, we could not follow our paper maps in the handlebar cases. So Dodie called for the GPS to be turned on. This was a gratifying start, a chance for the thing to prove itself. Wouldn't you know, the last time I had it on, back at home, I turned off the GPS function. So the little rat sat there, denying it had any idea where we were! Meanwhile Dodie was jumping up and down, saying "You guaranteed this would work". "Give me a chance to think!" "You've had your chance!". Fortunately, during a one second lull I remembered the Nokia, recently used to help us out of Miami. The English lady in there said (paraphrasing) "No problem, just turn up ahead here, on Cross Street". In a minute, there was Leo's. Hooray. The day was saved, for us and for the race of GPSs.

And Leo's? Nice sites, with tables, though all gravel. Clean washrooms, covered area with table, plugs, murals. We had a nice chat in French mostly with a couple from Quebec. Good practice for our trip in Summer, that will start in France.

So now, except that the cold wind tried to blow our tent away, and except for the fact that our heads will be sleeping right beside what looks like a perfect alligator slough, all is well! Stay tuned, more coming

We are not going to be outta here all that fast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My prized sticker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Key West airport is small and convenient. It allowed us to do all our chores in reasonable time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not exactly a "dip the wheels in the ocean" scene but this is where we started.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We found a gas station that sold us this dinner!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 5 km (3 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0