Day 15: Sunray to Polk City (so far) - Grampies Go South Spring 2014 - CycleBlaze

January 19, 2014

Day 15: Sunray to Polk City (so far)

There was frost on the ground at Frostproof, as we rolled out at 7 a.m.The temperature was just at freezing, no problem since we have the right number of layers for it. The sky was cloudless so there was no hint of rain that could have made it really chilly. Best of all, yesterday's wind was nowhere to be found.

With these conditions, we cruised into Lake Wales quickly and with almost no feeling of effort. Lake Wales has a historic downtown, but we stayed on the highway, intent on the Florida's Natural factory visitor center. It was interesting just to see the extent of the factory complex, but sadly the visitor center was closed on Sunday. The factory too was not in operation.

I have been interested in the orange juice industry ever since reading Squeezed (What You Don't Know About Orange Juice) by Alissa Hamilton. I corresponded with her for a while too, and then enjoyed reading and analysing juice boxes for some time afterwards. Alissa did much of her research in Winter Haven, so maybe will will see something there when we arrive shortly.

I am typing this while "parked" outside a Publix, just the point where we will leave 27 and head for the West side of Winter Haven, on the way to Polk City.It's funny how you become an instant expert on these little geographical or routing quirks, while formerly all of Winter Haven was just something I read in a book.

Our thoughts today are coloured by what happened to Cindy Weber (Sweet Rolls). First, of course, our hearts go out to her and Stephen. And then, it would be easy to lose our nerve at this point or spend more time watching the rear vision mirror than looking ahead.It's tempting to quit and just go back to Europe. But for now we are just soldiering on.

From the Publix we began the process of turning this way and that on smaller roads, heading for the Teco Auburndale trail, which ends at Polk City. The trail and the way to get to it had been set out for us by Google Maps, and with a touch of help from our GPS we found it easily.

On the way we found something else. For days orange laden trucks had been passing us, and we wondered where they were going. Now we came across what was mostly a two block long 6 story high white box of a factory, labelled Cutrale. At the far end of the windowless block was an area looking much like an oil refinery. Here the trucks were swarming, crawling up ramps and disgorging their contents seemingly into a hole. We had found the home hive!

Cutrale's website says they make FCOJ (frozen concentrate), citric pulp animal feed additive, and essential oils. We of course have never heard of them.

Down the road from Cutrale was also a vacant lot, significant because Google had told us there was an RV park there. Either Google or Florida is not doing too well on places for us to camp. Another spot shown by Google on a search for "campgrounds" turned up a 55+ permanent trailer park community near Shipp Lake. Hmmmpph.

The Auburndale Trail ends at Polk City. We asked Google maps about camping, and it turned up an RV park with a phone number that was disconnected. so we searched motels. Hah, nothing. Not quite trusting the database, we asked a local parent at the playground near the end of the trail. He laughed at the idea of something so advanced as a motel in Polk City, but he did proudly point out that it had one restaurant,

The end of the Auburndale trail is the beginning of the Van fleet Trail. This is 50km of sometimes remote straight paved bikeway. So our plan is to write this and cook supper now (at 5 pm) and then head up the darn thing, when dark falls we will pitch the tent, and its all over until another day.

Here at the trail head is a covered shelter with excellent tables. Two cats live here, with somebody obviously feeding them. It's really homey to have a roof, table, and cats. Dodie is spoiling them by sharing our tuna. Now they expect more and she is having to explain that that's all we had. Like all cats, they do not appear to speak English. Oh, oh, they just invited a third cat friend over to our party....

Some nice scenery near Sun Ray
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Florida Natural plant
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the brand we always buy when in the States
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steve takes the Florida sun - at 5 degrees
Heart 0 Comment 0
What are these birds, out on the grass near Publix
Heart 0 Comment 0
More dead orange trees in the backcountry near Winter Haven
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ticky tacky houses near Winter Haven
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ticky tacky but different coloured houses
Heart 1 Comment 0
A more upscale lake scene near Winter Haven
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunchtime nice stop near Schipp Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
No Google, this is not a campground
Heart 0 Comment 0
The giant orange juice plant
Heart 0 Comment 0
Its more like an oil refinery
Heart 0 Comment 0
An orange truck enters the hive
Heart 0 Comment 0
No, google, this is not a campground
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back roads near winter Haven
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Auburndale trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
What the Auburndale trail looks like
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look pablo. There were at least 20 soccer pitches in this complex
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Van Fleet trail pamphlet
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will make a run down this in the dark, though a patrol car just came out of it
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our house cats' visitor, seemed to want tuna also
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our headquarters for supper time and blogging at the Polk City trail head.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 765 km (475 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0