Ypres: Very lazy - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2016

Ypres: Very lazy

We have plenty of time to get to Brussels for our plane so decided to stay put here today to give my knee a chance to get a bit better. Unfortunately the Novotel was full for tonight so we had to shift across the road - a very nice hotel with lovely people who let us check in as soon as we had checked out from across the road.

Last night we went down to the bar to have a beer before we went to the last post ceremony and met George. George is part of a tour group visiting the battlefields. He is a delight, he is 91 and although English was in the special Canadian Forces in WW2 and was parachuted into Normandy 3 days before D Day. He was an explosives expert and they worked in small groups of 3 or 4 causing as much havoc as they could and trying to stay alive - amazing he reached 91. After the war he went to Los Vegas and joined a big band and was a singer at one time even singing with Sinatra. Eventually he returned to England and set up his own big band. Ken asked him if he made much money out of it and he said yes that was why he now travels the world.

Ken has walked all around today and visited the museum. Apart from an expedition out for lunch I have sat with my leg up and read and watched TV - will go out for a drink, to the Last Post and to dinner soon.

Tomorrow we go to Brugges - think my knee is a lot better after all that idleness.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0