To Villefrance sur Soane: Life is full of surprises - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2016

To Villefrance sur Soane: Life is full of surprises

We were rather concerned about today's stage. The weather forecast was for temperatures higher than yesterday, the road was coloured red and it seemed as if there would be a fair bit of hill. Therefore we planned a short stage, had breakfast as soon as it was offered at 6.30 and were on the road by 7am. The weather was just pleasantly warm and everything quiet, We had now left the Rhone and were now following the Soane up through the Beaujolis country. The route out of Lyon along the river was not only beautiful but easy and very quiet. Not a single truck or van had passed us and there were very few cars. Ken remarked that the French showed little urgency getting to work on a Monday morning. Then things got a little spooky still no traffic and we began to wonder. We got to Anse not far from our destination, before 9am and stopped for a coffee. We sat out on the terrace enjoying it. The problem was solved it was Ascension Day, a public holiday.

When we arrived at our hotel in Villefranche breakfast was still in full swing and a multitude of people were checking out. The temperature still only about 26 degrees. The receptionist let us leave our bikes and luggage and off we went to explore. Would we have a beer or go and look at the church? The church won. What we stumbled on was a very large and lovely service for Ascension Day. The large church was packed, there must have been about two thousand in the congregation. The service was a very beautiful sung Eucarist with the Beautifully restored 1835 organ made in Alsace and a very fine soprano leading some of the singing. It is amazing that although I could understand little of the French you can follow the service as the structure is so similar to that of an Anglican service. I particularly like when it comes to the Peace as it is then than you feel it is OK to be there and I am accepted. There was one thing however that was very different. The entrance of the church was guarded by police with sub machine guns and they were there for the entire service. What a very sad commentary on the terrorism that has been occurring in Europe in the last few months. The congregation all seemed so mild and benign, to me it seems they were such an unlikely target of violence.

Now for the beer . We stopped at an Irish Pub and sat outside, all the rest of the clients seemed to be either smoking or sucking on ballpoint pens. There were no police with sub machine guns guarding us here.

This has turned out to be our easiest day yet

Now they have to fit in the smal lift
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Soane on a beautiful morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
Going past the cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hire bikes seem to work well in Lyon
Heart 0 Comment 0
A single cylindar truck called a Mega. They are restricted to smaller roads. I think Ken would like one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a very safe route
Heart 0 Comment 0
This photo of the 'Balclutha' bridge is for Anne
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first of the Charolais
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 579 km (360 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0