To Satenay: From one Green Route to another - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2016

To Satenay: From one Green Route to another

Today was a lot cooler much better weather for cycling as far as I am concerned. However we continued or usual pattern and were back on the Voie Vert early. At that time in the morning we had it to ourselves, just the very odd dog walker with a dog so eager for its walk that it must be away early. Called in at Gifrey which is the last little town before you reach Chalon. There was a market in full swing with purposeful women bustling around filling up their bags with lots of delectable goodies.

Getting through the large city of Chalon was a challenge but we managed with not too much trouble and it was the whole way on cycle tracks which certainly makes things more comfortable. It was great to be back on the canals but however there weren't many boats at all, watched a few going through locks and spent a pleasant time talking to Chuck and Mary Ann who have been coming each year to sail on the canals. They amused us as they said that they would have to go home to the states soon as they need to campaign against a Trump presidency. Going that way on the canal it is all uphill and the locks come closer and closer. Certainly it is a slow way to travel as it seems to take ages to go through each lock.

Satenay was our destination and we have spent a fair bit of the afternoon planning our route forward. Parts look a bit difficult as there seem to be gaps in accommodation, if all goes well we should reach Le Puy en Velay about next Thursday - we are well ahead of schedule so can take things as quietly as we like.

Tomorrow night we are staying with Rosemary and John on their barge so we are unlikely to have any internet connection

A 2 cylindar air cooled Sameca from the sixties
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gates into Gifry
Heart 0 Comment 0
An early morning dog walker
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first fisherman
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lock houses are beautiful
Heart 0 Comment 0
His dogs were helping him along
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The canal is built so high from the surrounding countryside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Into Satenay
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 742 km (461 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0