To Montreux: Into a very different world - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2016

To Montreux: Into a very different world

That was the most amazingly comfortable hotel. The bed was just as comfortable as the one we sleep in when we stay with Jane. When we woke the sky was blue and the wind had gone. Once again we were on dedicated bike tracks nearly the whole way. The first part as far as St Maurice was similar to yesterday but the plain was getting narrower and by the time you get to St Maurice there is a tight squeeze to get through the mountains beside the river. We had a coffee there and then on.

After that it widens out but the beautiful orchards are largely gone and have been replaced by quite heavy industry. Being Switzerland where flat land is so precious every bit land between them is highly productive with carrots, corn, sugar beet, onions, sun flowers and grass. Being a fine Saturday the cyclists were out in force. Yesterday the few we saw were largely touring cyclists but today with the fine weather Lycra was to the for. They sped along leaving us behind like lumbering old draft horses. Seeing them approach they looked so lithe and fit but as they passed you often saw a wrinkly old face or a pot gut. We stopped for our usual lunch and watched the para gliders. Every time you turn your eyes to the mountains yo see these brave souls floating around. It looks too scary to me but I am sure is exhilarating.

In Villeneuve we reached the lake and had an apple juice before attempting the road around it. Actually it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be because for much of the way there is a wide bus/bike lane. The hotel was easy to find. It was built in 1865 and retains much of the features of the time including the plumbing. After a show we hit the town. Montreux seem to me rather like a cross between Montecarlo and Cannes, it is high energy with people taking selves and yes they are looking for Pokemons there as well. It is the absolute antithesis to Oberwald.

Leaving St Maurice
Heart 0 Comment 0
Garden is the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Corn frowning beside a factory
Heart 0 Comment 0
What an awful job thinning carrots must be
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our last view of the Rhone before it plunges into Lac Leman to emerge again at Geneva
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last bit before Villeneuve had us wandering through forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some were even swimming
Heart 0 Comment 0
I hope when we cross the lake to Thonon it is on a paddle steamer like this
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 202 km (125 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0