To Laussane: Our last night in Switzerland - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2016

To Laussane: Our last night in Switzerland

Today we had to ride around the lake to Laussane. This certainly is a very high tourist area with people driving around endlessly in cars. On our ride last year from Fujus to Cannes we were told that tourists didn't get out in there cars until around 10 am and that worked well for us so we decided if we got away early all would be fine and it was. Actually it was a lovely ride with lots of interest, suprisingly there was a lot of up and down but nothing that wasn't manageable but of course as usual I lust after the ebikes of others. Of course the training cyclists were out in full force .

For the the first five our so kilometres we were riding through the domain of the rich and famous and the very few cars we saw underlining their status. Everything of course looked immaculate. Looking out over the lake it was idyllic with the white sails of the yachts dotted on the blue water. Across the lake the French Alps rose steeply and you could see towns and villages across the water. We were thinking of the tramp we did about 20 or so years ago when we got off a flight from Geneva took a bus to Evian and next morning set straight up the mountains, that day climbing a vertical mile. Oh to be so young and fit! Actually it wasn't all that sensible, we collapsed on the bunks in the hut when we reached it, it was full of French school children and I heard one say to the others "Ils sont mort"

We continued up and down. Now there were well kept vineyards on the steep slopes - how they work them I will never know but I am glad I am not involved in it. Above the town of Cully we swept down to the waterfront and enjoyed our coffee under a ginko tree. What a lovely quiet low key spot. It would be a great place to spend a few days just reading, eating and poking around and there were quite a lot of people doing just that. It was not for us however we were back on the bikes and pushing on to Laussane.

It was not Laussane we were aiming for but rather Ouchy which is the port of Laussane because it was from here that tomorrow we take a ferry to Thonon. My cousin Andy will meet us there. Ouchy is lively and fun (an seems a good place to find Pokemons!). Our hotel is superb with a big balcony off our room from where we can look out over the lake and even see the line dancing that is going on on the foreshore

Vevey is the home of Nestle and also where Charlie Chaplin lived
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the lake to the mountains we climbed
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well kept vineyards
Heart 0 Comment 0
Under the ginko tree
Heart 0 Comment 0
No we haven't gone to Burma to see David
Heart 0 Comment 0
The balcony off our room
Heart 0 Comment 0
Line Dancing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel Aulac where we are staying
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swans among the boats
Heart 0 Comment 0
I always love carosels
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 234 km (145 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0