To Belley: An easy day - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2016

To Belley: An easy day

We had a lovely meal sitting out over the Rhone in the restaurant that was cantilevered over it and were able to watch the swallows swooping into there evening resting places. It was so typically French with the most beautifully presented food - we had salads. A lovely family came into dine there was Mum, Dad, Grandad and two girls the youngest about 13. It was clearly a very special occasion and they were very well dressed, the youngest had a lovely new outfit and her hair done in a very fancy style. Then disaster struck the waitress brought them their pre dinner drinks and dropped a full glass over the young girls head. She was completely soaked. The family (and the waiting staff) dealt with the whole incident with complete graciousness and charm. Off went Mum and the girl and she reappeared wearing Grandad's jacket, Mum sat next to her and gave her a cuddle every now and again.

This morning the weather was once more glorious, we have been so lucky. We were in no hurry to get underway as we weren't going very far and we anticipated that the route would be much easier. We were right about that. Coming out of town there was a stretch where we went out of town on a significant hill but after threat it was smooth cycle ways the whole way. We wound our way through beautiful countryside sometimes there was farm land sometimes forest but always everything was pristine. Every now and again we came through small villages that looked as if they had been put there as a prop to make our ride even more attractive.

Then we came to a place where inexplicably there were lots and lots of cyclists. We just couldn't work out why until several kilometres later we came to Chanaz. This is described in the tourist information as 'the Venice of the Bugey'. Here there is a canal joining the Lac de Borg with the Rhone. There were hire boats, canoes, hire bikes and lots of inviting looking bars and restaurants as well as a big camp ground. The French were on holiday and certainly looking as if they were enjoying it.

We reached Belley and toiled up the hill rather wondering how we would find our hotel but it was no problem. The hotel is a modern, comfortable place, without charm but suitable for our needs. After dropping off the gear it was into the centre to find something to eat. What we found was a charming crepery where we had ' the formule de midi' - a galette, a sweet crepe, a boule de cider and a coffee, then back to our hotel to sleep it off. (Only13.50 E each, it is good to be out of Switzerland)

We are so lucky to be having such a special experience.

Breakfast
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken took off cross country to find this fifties Farmall tractor with a ? French 2 cylindar engine
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fine old bike with a skirt guard
Heart 0 Comment 0
For hire in Chanaz
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bernie would like to ride like this andI would like the ebike
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I wouldn't like to clean this house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not glamorous but very comfortable
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 403 km (250 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0