Roanne: We start following up the Loire - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2016

Roanne: We start following up the Loire

Breakfast in the hotel wasn't until 8am so in the interest of an early start we gave it a miss. We had been told that the 8km of road we had intended to take to the start of the Voie Vert would be busy so getting going early on a Sunday morning seemed sensible. As it turned out of course we barely saw a car and being Sunday no trucks at all. However there were lots of loud, large dogs who seems very interested in our progress and I got the feeling our bare legs looked very appealing to them. Luckily the fences were high and strong.

The Voie vert was up to its usual standard and today was rolling us across the wide plain that the Loire has formed here. The farming was largely pastoral and we saw many herds of Charolais cattle munching on their lush pastures and after yesterday's experience I know they are tender and tasty. And there were the square towers with their pointed tops which are so typical of this area. There are small signs that Autumn will eventually come. The trees are still lush green but when a breeze blows a shower of gold leaves comes down, those that land on the canal form a carpet and I like seeing the odd boat,that is actually moving, cutting through them. As you ride along you can hear the pop of acorns flying from under your tyres, the acorns are falling to.

To us our stop on Marciny was particularly important. At home we have a Friench Country Clock in a long case that we love. The name on its face tell us that it was made in Marciny. On this Sunday Marciny was humming. We found a Boulangerie that also made coffee so sat on the pavement drinking our coffee and making up for the breakfast we hadn't had. As always the woman running the Boulangerie was a study of calm and efficiency as she dealt with all the starving of Marcigny. When I hear our clock give its typical double French chimes I will thing of this lovely, happy little town.

After the Voie Vert finished we were on roads but apart for the last 10km or so they were relatively pleasant. The hotel an Ibis Styles was next to the Gare so easily found. The receptionist very excited as she had just got back from 6 months in NZ and was keen to tell us of here experience.

It is unusual to see a flock of sheep
Heart 0 Comment 0
Square towers with pointy tops are so typical
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see the Loire
Heart 0 Comment 0
Firemen practse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the road as we drink our coffee
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Deux Cheveaux Ken admired
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old house in Marcigny
Heart 0 Comment 0
When did the last train stop here?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishermen on the Loire
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 897 km (557 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0