Mayenne: A fishing competition, a half marathon and a Baptism - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2016

Mayenne: A fishing competition, a half marathon and a Baptism

When we left this morning it was barely light only the lady in the Boulangerie looked ready for the day. The fishermen were just sleepily setting up their stands - personally I think it would be a very long and boring day for them

Today was I think one of the most stunning days we have ever had cycling. We were beside the canalised Mayenne all the way. There were 12 ecluses between Chateau Gortier and Laval and 23 between Laval and Mayenne. After all the activity on the river yesterday we only saw one boat moving. Each ecluse is a fascinating place to stop. They even have a noticeboard with historical interest in English. The ones we were seeing were built between 1845 and 1860. This is very late in the history of canal building. Weirs in conjunction with flour mills were built much earlier and in the part between Chateau Gortier and Laval flash locks were in place. These have only one gate and the water for the boats going down stream is released in a rush and those going up stream were winched up with the gate open. It obviously required lots of skill to operate them.

Our first excitement was that we kept coming across fishing camps. We must have passed by at least 50 of these. They consisted of khaki tents ( with men in suitable camouflage clothing) set up beside the river (and over the path). They all had many rods set up and seemed to be eating in style - how they got all the stuff there was a mystery as cars can't go down the cycle path. It seemed a puzzle until at last we decided by the seriousness of the operation it must be some sort of competition.

Next came the half marathon. A serious looking man with a number on ran past at great speed, then came more and more and they were looking progressively more exhausted. We came to a lady at a drink station. Yes it was a half marathon but her main concern was that I would take one of her cups of water or not be careful and bang into a runner.

Riding into Laval along the river is stunning with its churches, Castle and wonderful old half timbered buildings. We went off the side and found a bar for a coffee (Ken got a delicious tartlet at the Boulangerie across the road). Sitting there we watched a family and their guests assembling for a baptism - the photo taking was very serious I think every guest had their photo with the baby though it was always Dad who proudly held the baby the guest just stood beside him.

Over the bridge to the left side of the river and riding became really hazardous, I don't think I have seen so many people out running and cycling - the steady stream continued for at least 10km. The people of Laval are so lucky to have such a beautiful path beside the river to exercise on. Our journey continued in the same vein and it was easy to find our hotel. It is a bit out of Mayenne so it was good that it has a restaurant associated with it. Shut on Sundays but the receptionist said there was one a short walk away that would be open. Thank goodness for that, Ken has gone to investigate. Guess what it is McDonalds so we will be dining in style - Take aways I think as we have a nice bottle of wine.

Lovely reflections
Heart 0 Comment 0
A rather decaying water wheel
Heart 0 Comment 0
A chateau on a hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
A better looking water wheel
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fishing camp
Heart 0 Comment 0
The half marathon
Heart 0 Comment 0
The only boat we saw moving all day
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Renault 4 outside one of the churches in Laval
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge we crossed
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think it is a Monastery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Half timbered houses in Laval
Heart 0 Comment 0
The houses going out of Laval were lovely
Heart 0 Comment 0
An active family
Heart 0 Comment 0
This canalised river is not looked after by the VNF as most of the canals are in France but by a completely separate organisation of the Mayenne
Heart 0 Comment 0
Information at each ecluse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Behind nearly every Ecluse House is an old communal bread oven
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one will do for my house in France
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 1,968 km (1,222 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0