Ghent: Riding the trams - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2016

Ghent: Riding the trams

We decided to stay put and explore this lovely old city. Walked a fair bit and bought a day pass for the trams. The driver of the tram even came through and asked us why we just stayed on when we got to the end of the line. Having got completely lost a couple of years ago in Warsaw on the trams the safest way seems to us to just go to the end of the line then come back to the beginning.

Found the most amazing gormont food shop we have bought some delicious stuff for our dinner - exotic looking salads, fresh raspberries and mousse.

One of the most interesting things we saw today was the Ghent Alterpiece by the Van Eycks. It has had a very harsh life. It was unveiled in 1432, survived the Calvinists, during the French Revolution the central panels were stolen and taken to Paris then returned in 1815, it survived a fire, in 1940 the Germans kidnapped the masterpiece and the 'Monument Men' found it in an Austrian Salt mine returning it to Ghent. Now it is in a secure place in St Batho's Cathedral where it is on display and since 2012 has been undergoing restoration which is said to be going to last for 7 years.

Along the canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have been following this long distance route since Brugge and will do so for about half the time tomorrow
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is how to transport 3 kids to school
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off home after depositing her load
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
These lovely bubbly girls were giving away free hugs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gravensteen Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0