Flers: Not the easiest of days - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2016

Flers: Not the easiest of days

Today was a day of ups and downs in more ways than one. We left early and were soon on the tow path for a short ride into Mayenne and were able admire the buildings across the river. Now to find the Voie vert. We pushed up a steep hill, the traffic was so busy we certainly didn't risk cycling it and at the top found the Voie Vert. This was a rail trail and took us for more than 20km ironing out the ups and downs an keeping us completely safe. Now we were on small country roads showing us the delights of rural Normandy. Any settlements we came to were tiny. One particular one we came to was St Fraimbault , it is a 4 fleurie village and everyone obviously takes huge pride in it. It has a Bolangerie, a bar and a supermarket so we were very excited. Damn we had forgotten it was Monday, they were all closed. In fact we saw 5 Boulangeries today and all were closed for Monday. Shortly after this our navigation took a decided turn for the worse and we kept coming across towns not on the map, then we found we were heading on a busy road in the opposite direction to Domfort where we were supposedly heading for. Around we turned and up and down we went in the correct direction. It was rather scary as here were big trucks but thankfully a hard shoulder even if it was very rough. It was with huge relief we came to Domfort and seeing a rather grubby Grill Room we went in and were presented with about the nastiest meal I have every tasted but the oragina was good.

Now to find the way on. We rode around in circles, found the Voie Vert (another rail trail) then after 15 minutes or so found we were riding back in the direction of Mayenne. Around we turned again and had 20km of Voie Vert riding almost all the way to Flers. It was moderately up hill all the way but at least we couldn't get lost. Flers is a very spread out town not particularly attractive. We found the Ibis Styles Hotel near the Gare. Their wifi is out of action so no journal today.

Sounds as if it was an awful day but really it wasn't and we both really loved looking at the bountiful countryside that makes up Normandy. I feel proud that I came through 96km of hilly cycling in good shape.

Latest disaster - Ken took some fantastic photos today but can't download them have changed memory cards so back in business tomorrow!!!

I have bullied the Ibis to fix the wifi

Today's ride: 96 km (60 miles)
Total: 2,064 km (1,282 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0