Day 18 -Sault to Pont Saint Esprit - Gorging Ourselves in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2023

Day 18 -Sault to Pont Saint Esprit

Dear Agnes

We had yet again a wonderful time with Susan, Suzzane and Janos over breakfast. They were decamped in Sault for a few days to do some of the classic rides in the area. The cycling philistines, i.e Kirsten and me, just set off to gorge ourselves again.

This time is was la Gorges du Nesque. France is turning out to be such an amazing country in terms of its geographic diversity. In just a few hundred kilometres we’ve seen alpine terrain and gorges, lush agricultural river valleys, vineyards in rocky limestone and Mediterranean villages. This was a great set up for the Nesque gorge. It was very impressive but also so different from the gorges of the Chartreuse and the Vercors. Travelling the same distance in Alberta east of Calgary we’d see three different crops and three hills … maybe.

I’ll keep the description of the Nesque brief … it was great, and we had it more or less to ourselves … and about 300 roadies. Cars were counted on our fingers and toes, it’s so great to be here in early May!!! The (many) pics will each fill in their thousand words to give you the full experience.

After 20(ish) km’s of descending the gorge we popped out into Villes sur Auzon and then had a moderate downhill, trending to flat, run west across the Rhone valley.

Once the Nesque gorge was behind us this turned into another ‘travel day’ as we made our way across the Rhone valley towards the Ardeche and the next phase of our gorging. Nice riding but pretty tame after what we’ve had over the last few days, so our focus was to get the km’s in across the flats as the next few days would have us back to a high vertical diet.

Near Carpentras we hit a rail-trail bike path in perfect condition that took us into Orange (an amazing place for largely intact Roman architecture) but we didn’t linger there, having spent some time there previously on our 2018 Rhone ride.  From Orange is was  another ~40 km’s of flat Rhone riding to Pont St Esprit and a ‘Campground’ beside the Ardèche. That’s right, Dear Agnes was finally going to be released from the pannier she’s been living in for the last few weeks.

We picked up a basic dinner at a Lidl at Pont St Esprit ….. I lost the draw and had to go into the store ….. not the best experience, at least for me, and had a great first night in the tent camped beside the Ardeche river.  

The weather was perfect, the showers were hot and dinner was basic, but filling. All is good in the world.

SOTD - Dear Prudence by the Beatles

When I pulled Agnes (our tent - a Big Agnes UL3) out of my front pannier for the first time on this trip, I (badly) sang “Dear Agnes, won’t you come out to play”,  as a play on Lennon’s classic. Both K and I then thought … that’s a pretty good song for today ‘ The sun is up, the sky is blue, it’s beautiful, and so are you’. So there we have it.

Heart 0 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyWow that’s quite a day on the bikes!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
You’re going to be in the ‘start of the day picture too’. So I’ve been told ….
Heart 2 Comment 0
… and here it is, our now official ‘Start of the Day’ pic!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Off we go! Thanks for the photos Susan!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Sault towards the Nesque gorge. Lovely rolling farm land. This is going to change quickly and radically!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here is the start, just easing into it
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Nesque has been referred to as The Grand Canyon of France … I can buy that … but La Gorges du Nesque fits it better
Heart 3 Comment 0
Very different vegetation and geology … but the same French roads (excellent) plastered against the canyon walls as we wind our way down
Heart 3 Comment 0
And when you’re tired of looking at the canyon and the amazing road, just look north and there’s Ventoux. It was a stunning day, full sun and no wind
Heart 3 Comment 0
You can pick out the road snaking down the north wall of the canyon
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here’s our Where’s Waldo …. Or K… competition
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooI tried to circle her - this site needs to be more interactive!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
A zoom in a few seconds later
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lord Tundering Jesus … this just keeps going! You’ve got to read and or say this with. Newfie accent
Heart 2 Comment 0
And another tunnel!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Two sections of the road to pick out below us!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back up to where we came from (a small portion of it)
Heart 2 Comment 0
And then it’s gentle cruising west towards the Rhone, with Mount Ventoux as our constant companion
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were a few traffic jams like this today. Lot’s of roadies, no other loaded tourers, and almost no cars… on a Friday no less!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Quintessential Provence cycling
Heart 3 Comment 0
Making great time on the straight flat rail trail into Orange. This one is for all you old Arvidians who are reading along. I know there are a few of you.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karin KaarsooSlight typo but close enough!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Karin KaarsooIt was weird all the signs were spelled correctly except the old station.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Redo’s of our 2018 pictures in Orange
Heart 4 Comment 0
We just got the pics and kept moving this time, however if you have not been here, the Roman Theatre here is not to be missed. It rivals anything in Italy, and may be the best preserved / renovated Roman architecture anywhere
Heart 5 Comment 0
Now that’s a narrow cycle bridge
Heart 4 Comment 0
Too narrow for me. One bump against the side and you would be over the low rail and into the Rhone
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our final run north along the Rhone to Pont St Esprit (actually a campground a few km’s north of the town on the banks of the Ardeche river
Heart 4 Comment 0
And here’s Agnes, released from captivity!
Heart 3 Comment 4
Patrick Parnogood weather for camping!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyPerfect camping weather!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo ann and steve maher-wearyHaha It started to rain last night. Showers off and on today. Lyle shouldn’t have said anything.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Patrick ParnoIt started the rain in the night!!!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
That’s all, hope you had a great day too!
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 101 km (63 miles)
Total: 747 km (464 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0