Hyden to Norseman: a summary. - Go East old man... - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2014

Hyden to Norseman: a summary.

Here is a quick summary of the ride from Hyden to Norseman, for those of you who are interested. If not, just skip this entry.

I rode the 310 km at about 60 to 70 km per day. It took 5 days. I tool 22 kg of water. About 10 to 20 cars passed each day: a mix of campers, mine workers and road trains. It was long rolling hills for 4 of the 5 days. From Johnson Lake to Norseman it leveled out quite a bit.

Friendly Local sees me off at midday
Heart 0 Comment 0

Day One: 30 km - you pass the East Hyden wheat bins. There is water here, but you have to be lucky enough to pass there when someone is on duty if you want to fill up.

44 km - the gravel starts here. Saw my first snake of the season trying to cross the road. We both got a terrible fright and took off in different directions.

Bobtail: very slow, harmless, and likes to sunbathe on the road... not a good combination.
Heart 0 Comment 0

53 km - Holland Track crosses here. Met some guys loading up trail bikes. They said it's still pretty muddy and they didn't think a bicycle could do it right now.

62 km - Forrestania rest stop. Spent the night here. A good effort for me, considering the mid day start.

Local humour, a quiet night.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Day Two: 68 km - road shows evidence of heavy mine traffic. The locals say they spray it with a special elixer to keep down the dust, but when muddy it turns to cement and is hard to get off their cars.

Set like concrete, bounced along...
Heart 0 Comment 0

76 km - Flying Fox nickel mine. You could beg water here if needed. I'm told it's the third richest nickel mine in the world, they should be able to spare a couple litres of water.

82 km - crossroads. There is a mine in caretaker mode to the right, more potential water.

107 km - a rest stop with a picnic table!

120 km - what, another picnic table! I'm getting spoiled.

133 km - The Breakaways campground. Spent the night here. Toilet and picnic tables. Off the main road a bit: very, very nice spot all to myself. Slept on top of the picnic table gazing at the stars.

Star gazing platform at the Breakaways
Heart 0 Comment 0

Day Three: Gravel Pits - this time of year they often hold water. Stopped off at one this morning for a wash. Muddy feet, clean body. You could filter this water for drinking in a pinch.

159 km - you approach a beautiful ridge line and the road crosses the Emily Ann nickel mine, another possible water source.

195 km - McDermid Rock campsite. Pit toilet and two picnic tables. Rock pools hold water at this time of year. Spent the night here, one gray nomad for company.

Oh yeah, bush flies start to make an appearance, bound to happen sooner or later. On the plus side, no mossies!

Day Four: 200 km - Lake Johnson campsite. One picnic table and a pit toilet. I'm getting overwhelmed... This spot would be very dramatic on a full moon. It's pretty good during the day too.

260 km - picnic spot with table. Spent a quiet night here.

Day Five: 292 km - bitumen again.

310 km - Norseman. I think I added 10 km by sticking to the main road, should have taken the scenic route (Mort Harslett Drive).

Note: a special thanks to the BIS ore carrier road train drivers. They were real gentlemen and know how to safely pass cyclists with a minimum of bother. Can't say the same for a lot of the campers though ...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0