George - Across USA in 52 Days - CycleBlaze

April 28, 2022

George

George, 68, has been retired for 8 years from his job as an elementary school teacher (self-contained special education classes). He's lived in Tucson since age 14. He and his wife (a retired social worker) ave no kids of their own, but were foster parents of 8 kids for 11 years and the foster parents of 2 mentally-disabled adults for 24 years.

In the 1970s, George served in the army for 3 years and was 1 of 2 soldiers who were trained to be interpreters of the Amharic language (spoken by about 25% of the people in Ethiopia).

George has been on several supported bike rides (e.g., Cycle Montana on a tandem, a ride in WI from Eagle River to Prairie du Chien, and a 2018 ACA inn-to-inn trip in the upper peninsula of MI) but never on a cross-country trip until now.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charles HutchinsonFor those that don't know, the bike ride from Eagle River to Prairie du Chien is the 'GRABAAWR' (The GReat Annual Bicyling Adventure Along the Wisconsin River'). My spouse and I road it in 2014, a year it ended in Richland Center, not at the Mississippi. Our ride ended in Baraboo, a day before end, as we had to get home to prepare for a wedding shower for our youngest daughter. It was very interesting riding from northern Wisconsin to south central part of state, seeing changes forest types, farming, etc. Don't know if George was on that particular trip.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago