Center of the World - Across USA in 52 Days - CycleBlaze

March 15, 2022

Center of the World

In the Sonoran desert is the Center of the World, a pink granite pyramid housing a metal plaque announcing its location as the center.  Created by French-American Jacques-Andre Istel, and recognized as the center by Imperial County CA, it sits close to a chapel and many long triangular blocks of granite (etched with words and pictures telling various histories of California, Arizona, man, animals, French Foreign Legion, etc.) also built by him.  His wife Felicity made sandwiches for our lunch stop there today.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Keith AdamsPresumably this is either high-concept "art" of the sort I cannot fathom nor appreciate, or an elaborate (and expensive) joke, which I can appreciate.

Imperial County CA adds to either (and, I suspect, to the county coffers) through their official acknowledgment and whatever tourist dollars it attracts as a result.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierThere's a competing center of the world in Perpignan, France. I think it was declared by Salvador Dali. It's not as nice as the one Brian's pictured.

So yeah, high-concept art.

I've concluded that I'm not smart enough for modern art.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago