Rain Delay - The Girl Friday Rides Again - CycleBlaze

December 17, 2010

Rain Delay

As if to underscore the "improvisation" theme, I have decided to make a change already.

I kept hoping the weather would improve. Sometimes it does in this part of the world. A forecast of "showers" seven days away often turns into blue skies with a cloud or two when the time comes; and a "rain" forecast for next week can turn into a sprinkle now and again. But now the forecast of "showers" has turned into this "severe weather alert" from the national weather service...

....A SERIES OF UNUSUALLY WET PACIFIC STORM SYSTEMS WILL IMPACT SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA WITH STRONG WINDS AND VERY HEAVY RAINS THROUGH AT LEAST THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK....DUE TO THE SUBTROPICAL NATURE OF THIS SYSTEM....OROGRAPHIC ENHANCEMENT OF THE RAINFALL WILL BE EXTREME WITH 4 TO 8 INCH AMOUNTS EXPECTED TO BE WIDESPREAD IN THE FOOTHILLS AND MOUNTAINS....LOCAL AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF 10 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE....RAINFALL IN THESE AMOUNTS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE WIDESPREAD AREAL FLOODING AND DANGEROUS DEBRIS FLOWS....ALONG WITH THE RAINS....WIDESPREAD AREAS OF STRONG WINDS ARE POSSIBLE.....

It goes on like that for a while. Sounds scary. And if they're using a word like "orographic" it's gotta be bad!

So, I booked a flight and will pack the Girl Friday in her suitcase for the trip down on Tuesday. Oh, I still plan to ride to Phoenix, but I'll adjust my journal start date accordingly. Actually, this turn of events has only increased my excitement over the desert ride. Can't wait to get out there--hopefully the weather will improve!

Stay tuned! The Girl Friday WILL ride again, there will just be a bit of a delay.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0