Returning to Portland - French Alps 2015 - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2015

Returning to Portland

For a change, we have a flight that departs for home at a civilized hour - noon. We enjoyed the luxury of relaxing over breakfast at the hotel rather than slipping out in the predawn while the hotel is still dark like we usually seem to do. We also enjoyed our taxi ride to the airport, chatting with our sympatico Estonian driver and concurring with his musings about the need to live right, eat right, and make the most of your life while you've got the health to enjoy it.

The flight home was smooth, efficient and generally uneventful - no long delays anywhere, no stress over tight connections, no hassles with luggage or check-in - pretty much my ideal for getting to or from a tour. I'm happy to save the adventures for the bike. In Montreal, where we pick up and transfer our luggage across the customs line, we are reminded of how much we appreciate traveling with our Bike Fridays when we see three cyclists laboring down the hall with their three boxed bicycles - they've got them pressed together like cards, one guy pushing from behind while the others push from each side and keep the ship upright. Pretty nice solution to the problem, really - I wish I'd had my wits about me and pulled out the camera.

We are home by 10:30, PDT. It's always pretty amazing that for us at this point in history it's possible to travel half way around the world so effortlessly and that so many choices are available to us. We're well aware of how fortunate we are to have the health and resources to travel like this and we don't take any of it for granted. It has been a completely remarkable month, and it feels like we've received another priceless gift.

Which doesn't mean we aren't greedy too though - there's no doubt that before long we'll be staring at the maps again and dreaming up the next one.

We did it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Less room to maneuver for the breakdown than usual
Heart 0 Comment 0
Success, it all fits. Looks like we'll be able to fly out of here after all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Geneva. Perfect day for a flight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0