At Beaufort sur Duron: Loop ride to Albertville and Ugine - French Alps 2015 - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2015

At Beaufort sur Duron: Loop ride to Albertville and Ugine

Some biking days are better than others. This one ranks pretty low on our list for the tour, perhaps even at the bottom of the heap. We went back and forth with how to spend today, and considered either using it for a hike or a loop ride somewhere. In retrospect we might have been happier with a walk in the woods.

We modeled out a lot of alternative routes for our loop, looking for one that felt like the right length and difficulty for our energy level. We finally settled on the loop mapped below, that drops down the Duron toward Albertville and then makes a horseshoe up one side of the Arly River before heading back upriver to Beaufort again. It's pretty lumpy country, with a lot of ups and downs. Describing it in 1000' elevation units, the ride looked roughly like this: up; down; up; down; up; down,down; up; down, down; up, up. Very little flat in today's ride.

The ride actually had a lot of attractive features, including great views down into and across the valleys. The main problems were road quality (more rough-surfaced and jarring than we've gotten accustomed to) and especially the traffic. 20 miles on it was on the highway to/from Alberville - not too quiet, and mostly unshouldered; and in particular D109, a balcony road above the river from Flons to Ugine, paralleling the main road along the river, D1212. D109 follows a lovely and scenic path and I suspect most of the time would be a great cycling route. At the moment though, this stretch of D1212 is completely closed because it's missing a sizable chunk that was swept into the river by a massive landslide. Until the road can be reopened, all of the substantial traffic is forced onto narrow, windy D109. It made for a pretty uncomfortable and stressful ride.

Also, we were under some time pressure to get back to the hotel for another dinner date with our new friend Szolt, who decided he was overdue for a rest day. It was raining in the morning though, so we didn't start biking until about 1 and had to keep on top of our pace all afternoon.

That's OK - not every day can be one of the best ever, and we've certainly seen more than our share of those on this trip. No complaints.

Leaving Beaument on a false start to our day ride. Almost immediately it started raining, and after a mile we turned back to the hotel to wait it out a bit longer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering the village of Queige, on the short climb to Col de la Forclaz.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Keith AdamsComparing the color saturation and rendition of these photos to your 2022 albums makes for a stark contrast. I've gotten so accustomed to the 2022 photos that these look almost artificially vivid. I think the overall image quality from 2022 is also better- at least until your good camera went belly up.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Obligatory summit shot de jour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Albertville and the Arly valley, from Col de la Forclaz
Heart 1 Comment 0
Overlooking Albertville
Heart 1 Comment 0
Roadside floral display, concealing a fox. It dashed into the woods after I'd already put my camera away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cohenoz, a village perched high above the Arly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small chapel overlooking the Arly valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well, we won't be going this way, will we? Later I looked at this on the map, and it's missing a sizable chunk that was blown out by a massive landslide. Unfortunately it drove us and all of the traffic up onto the narrow, winding balcony road for the next eight miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back on the ridge on the eastern side of the Arly, from our road on the western ridge. The road we climbed earlier in the ride cuts a diagonal upward to the left.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dropping down, finally, into Ugine and the end of our busy side road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel in Beaufort
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Notre Dame Church in Beaufort.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Notre Dame Church in Beaufort
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 1,173 miles (1,888 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0