And back to Geneva: A lazy day along Lac Leman - French Alps 2015 - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2015

And back to Geneva: A lazy day along Lac Leman

Finally, after a month on the road we get our first and only easy cycling day - 30 flat miles along the south shore of Lac Leman - just when we don't really need it. Where was a day like this when it would have helped us recover a bit from the daily onslaught of mountain passes? Who planned this trip, anyway?

We made the most of it, dawdling our way back to Geneva, never really exerting ourselves. We had beautiful weather today and enjoyed a steady panorama of attractive sights, colorful villages, and views across the lake to encourage us to take our time. And, truth be told, we were glad for an easy day - we could both feel the pain a bit whenever we came across a small rise in the road.

The highlight of the ride was definitely our stop in Yvoire, a strikingly attractive old fortified village on the shore of the lake. Everything about it pleases the eyes, but Saint Pancras Church really stands out. It has been recently restored inside and out, and it really gleams - especially its new stainless steel and gold plated steeple (it replaced the original, badly weathered tin one) that shines brilliantly in the sun.

The harbor, Thonon les Bains
Heart 0 Comment 0
The famous lavender fields around Geneva
Heart 1 Comment 0
We shouldn't be getting lost today
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just another shuttered window, Anthy sur Leman
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oh, what we saw upon entering Excenevex
Heart 1 Comment 0
I don't see a for sale sign up; guess we'll keep the condo
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering Yvoire
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fortified walls of Yvoire
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Yvoire
Heart 0 Comment 0
The stainless steel steeple of Saint Pancras Church, Yvoire
Heart 0 Comment 0
The interior of the recently restored Saint Pancras Church, Yvoire
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yvoire Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the stained glass windows in Saint Pancras Church, Yvoire
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some coot chicks, Yvoire
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch in Yvoire after having our fill of sightseeing, and then biked nonstop the rest of the way into Geneva. Coming in from the southeast is a great approach, following the lakeside promenade for several miles with the city and the Jet d'Eau steadily looming larger before us. It's Monday, but still the lakeside is packed with revelers, sunbathers and strollers out enjoying the perfect weather conditions. Rounding one bend, we suddenly got a good view of Mont Seleve, the first climb of our tour that we summited a month ago. Both of us felt a surge of pride and excitement to see again the spot where it all began.

We arrived about 4 PM: not too bad, covering 30 miles in six hours. Just enough time to suitcase the bikes and head out for our last European supper for awhile. Eating outdoors on the plaza beneath the colorful synagogue, I'm already feeling nostalgic - I'm going to miss these meals alongside majestic plane trees with the swifts soaring overhead. It's been a remarkable month.

Entering Geneva
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Jet d'Eau, Geneva
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're back in Switzerland
Heart 0 Comment 0
For such a big city, Geneva is very bike friendly. A moment earlier, while waiting for the light to change, this little girl was studiously adjusting the tails of her chauffeur's suit coat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last pasta blowout, Geneva
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 1,291 miles (2,078 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0