Grenoble to Pont-en-Royans - Geneva South through the Western Alps - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2017

Grenoble to Pont-en-Royans

Up into the Vercors and down Gorge de la Bourne

Our original plan had been to stay in Sassenage and take the yellow road into the Vercors from there, avoiding Grenoble altogether. But now we were in Grenoble so we decided to take the white (presumably quieter) road into the Vercors via St-Nizier.

So, after a very nice buffet breakfast at the hotel, we loaded our gear onto our bikes and both of us searched for "Nizier" and chose St-Nizier-du-Moucherotte from the few choices. The distance given was 7.75 km. We had a little discussion on which way we should start off and headed to the right as we exited the hotel. In retrospect, we should have gone left...

Following the recalculated directions, we rode over 11 km and were still in Grenoble. Actually, we had travelled south to Échirolles and crossed the Druz (tributary which enters the Isère just west of Grenoble). We were now on the same greenway we had ridden yesterday, and having missed the not-very-well-marked turn that would have taken us towards St-Nizier, we were well on our way back to Sassenage.

Okay, we can take D 531 into the Vercors, as originally planned. A yellow road instead of a white one. I don't think that was the reason for all the traffic; I think it was because it was a Sunday in July.

At Engins Al was waiting for me and with him was the Scorpion rider who had been staying at the same hotel back in St-Pierre d'Entremont. I didn't get his name, but he was from Berkeley and had also used Scott Anderson's journal as inspiration for his trip.

So far, this was a beautiful ride, but after Villard-de-Lans, it became spectacular! The Gorges de la Bourne were absolutely worth all the climbing and then some.

In the Vercors. Al is standing beside the info kiosk; the scale makes you feel tiny.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Gorges de la Bourne
Heart 0 Comment 0
This and the next few photos: Gorges de la Bourne
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was after this, I think, that I saw a candy-apple-red 2CV (obviously somebody's cherished restored toy) come around a similar corner. I was too slow to get out my camera so it's the shot that got away!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Behind this fountain in Choranche are public WCs!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were a little bit worried about accommodation in Pont-en-Royans but it was no problem. The lady in the Office de Tourisme (easy to find an open!) recommended Hôtel du Royans and it's just right. Basic and very clean, spacious double room with shower and WC, 52.5€.

This and the next few photos: Pont-en-Royans
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner at our hotel: First course was a delectable salad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So that's how Segafredo makes the money to sponsor Trek-Segafredo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tarte aux noix
Heart 0 Comment 0

66.4 km, ascent 882 m, descent 890 m

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 378 km (235 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0