Saturday 2 June. Day 16: Sightseeing in Bitola - Slowly in Macedonia (2016) - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2016

Saturday 2 June. Day 16: Sightseeing in Bitola

Today was the being a tourist day that was supposed to happen the day before. After a nice European style breakfast of meat and cheese, bread and yoghurt, we walked to the local museum.

The back streets of Bitola 1
Heart 0 Comment 0
The back streets of Bitola 2
Heart 0 Comment 0

It had two main displays: 1) the history of Bitola from prehistoric pots to memorials to resistance fighters over the centuries (there were so many ‘overlords’ in Macedonia’s past that uprisings and resistance fighters are an important part of the story of many towns); 2) Atatürk!

One of these is Atatürk.
Heart 0 Comment 0

For at least a few years during his teens as a trainee soldier, Atatürk had been a student at the Ottoman military school located in Bitola (at the time and for hundreds of years prior, a part of the Ottoman empire). The Turkish government now pay for this to be a memorial museum to him…

The museum of Atatürk (ex-military high school)
Heart 0 Comment 0

After taking our fill of Atatürk, we walked the length of Širok Sokak (it's Turkisk name, but also known as Marshall Tito Street as every town needs one), the kilometre long pedestrian street running through the centre of town, stopping at some cafes for a drink and eventually lunch.

Funky cafe on Širok Sokak - the pedestrian street in Bitola
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cafe life. Lots of young people and babies. In part as this is a university town I guess... but there was a very young feel to the town generally.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure if this is the IVF clinic itself, or simply an advertisement for it?
Heart 0 Comment 0
A handy resting place and a statue of some bloke. From the posture I'm guessing worker, revolutionary, cared for 'his' people??
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back on Širok Sokak 1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back on Širok Sokak 2. In the evening there are many many bars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back on Širok Sokak 3. BTW - this town (many towns in Macedonia actually) seem to have an arts or folk festival every week in summer. We had just missed the Bitola Shakespeare Festival!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old town, using the wacky panorama feature on my camera!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We wandered through the area of the old Ottoman bizarre and old town and headed back to our room as the weather began to turn.

Blokes sitting about in the old town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They're watching you!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rainy scenes from the hotel window.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After waiting out the quick late afternoon rainstorm, we headed back to Grne – it was an awesome restaurant – and had vine leaves, fresh backed pita bread, mushrooms and a totally awesome baked cheese thing (once again the feta style) with dried chilli and garlic. Macedonia = awesome FOOD.

Shrooms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More dinner bits. I did warn youse all at the start of this journal that there would be lots of food photos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
AND NOW.... THE CHEESE!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0