New Zealand - South Island - Frankie goes to.....the Gulf of Thailand (2022) - CycleBlaze

December 23, 2021

New Zealand - South Island

I hadn´t really travelled New Zealand´s South Island since I cycled both islands in 2012. So the permanent cancellations and postponements of my flights towards South East Asia at least had one positive aspect: It bought me some extra time to go there again.  Obviously only a very small selection of photos but hopefully good enough to wake your appetite to go and see this great country yourself! 

Oamaru is not only a lovely little town on the East Coast but the finish (or start) of the excellent Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail. High up on my to-do list for the next New Zealand summer. https://www.alps2ocean.com/
Heart 1 Comment 0
Millions of years of coastal erosion have formed these impressive Moeraki Boulders.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Really fine beaches around Dunedin.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wherever I go I am eager to watch and possibly support endangered wildlife. Great to see that the numbers of the very rare Hector dolphins have stabilized and you can watch them frolicking in the surf at Curio Bay again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Down in Bluff at New Zealand´s most southern tip I am indicating where I have just come from: Cape Reinga the northernmost point. 2000 km of most enjoyable driving.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mount Cook, the countries highest mountain surrounded by the morning mist
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Pancake Rocks at Punakaiki.
Heart 4 Comment 0
At least some exercise: Walking the Abel Tasman NP Track
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down one of the many arms of the Marlborough Sounds. That´s in Picton, where your ferry to Wellington arrives / departs.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonI’m convinced, Frankie. It’s been thirty years since we were down there. About time we check in to see what’s changed.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Frank RoettgenTo Scott AndersonI guess you would be surprised/ impressed how few changes you would find, Scott. I've been coming to New Zealand for 30 years now and find it very appealing how stubbornly they resist changing things just because the rest of the world does so.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago