Day 82: Phattalung - Songkhla - Frankie goes to.....Indochina - CycleBlaze

April 22, 2018

Day 82: Phattalung - Songkhla

Routing: #4047, 4018, 4003, 4004, 4020, 4014, 408

To me "homogeneous group", whether at work or in social life, doesn´t mean sticking together 24/7 regardless of the individual capabilities and demands. The "weakest link" will always loose out on this choirboy approach. It is far more about recognizing and acknowledging those differences and acting accordingly. And that was certainly required today as the conditions out there were fairly extreme. It´s been extremely hot, extremely humid, extremely headwindy and - taking all previously mentioned factors into account- an extremely long ride.

Andrew had to realize he hasn´t fully recovered from his infection yet and was sensible enough to call it a day after a third of todays distance. He rode a few km inland and took a train to Hat Yai where we will reunite tomorrow. Later on the rest of us agreed to split up into three groups, all rolling along at their individual pace and meet again once in Songkhla. Bob and I got back together about 30 km from Songkhla and managed to get into town just before sunset. We then basically picked the first accommodation we came along which wasn´t the best choice but alright for just one night at 600 B. Some sort of apartment block where predominantly oil workers take lodging for longer terms. It´s called Nopakao Mansion but neither Bob nor I would recommend it.

Coleen and Chris had chosen to cycle some unsealed side roads and only got into town after dark. No big deal for them as they had already booked their hotel back in Singapore and are staying at the charming Baan Nai Nakhon in the old town. In the end we never met for dinner due to the late arrivals but - as I said in the beginning - not the slightest issue to any of us as we were all happy to have an early night after a very demanding day.

Zinc paste in action
Heart 5 Comment 0
Approaching Phattalung morning market for breakfast
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Phattalung against sun and wind
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hole in the wall
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lampum Beach
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Lampum on the #4018
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Attractive schoolyard along the lagoon with the islands See Ko Ha and Mak in the background
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along the #4014
Heart 3 Comment 0
Knackered and desperate for some shade
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the ferry to Songkhla
Heart 2 Comment 0
Last rest at Samila Beach
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Songkhla Mermaid attracting the selfie addicts
Heart 2 Comment 0
Phattalung - Songkhla
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 107 km (66 miles)
Total: 6,075 km (3,773 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0