Day 80: Thung Song - Trang - Frankie goes to.....Indochina - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2018

Day 80: Thung Song - Trang

Routing: #403, 419, 4

Today´s ride as such is quickly summarized and not really worth more than those few words. Roughly 60 km down the #403 - not bad at all but nothing much exciting either. The typical Thai dual carriageway and some zigzagging along the #419 and #4 at the very end.

My first excitement of the day was provided off the highway by "men at work" again. Two hours into the day I saw an exhibition of these motorbike-sidecars that you will find for commerial use all over South East Asia. It´s the first time I came along a place manufacturing them and obviously had to stop. Unfortunately they were working on some truck platform but when I explained what I had stopped for the owner dropped anything he was doing and took me for a ride down the #403 on one of the motorbikes on display. After the u-turn he asked me whether I would like to have a go which I happily accepted as I have ridden larger motorbikes for most of my life but never with a side-car. Loved it!

And then, after arrival at the Garden Hill Mansion (490 Baht, agoda) in Trang, the long awaited moment. Coleen and Chris (Singapore), Andrew (Australia) and Bob (California) came back from their day-trip and we finally met in person. I had obviously seen Bob before but only knew Coleen, Chris and Andrew through our common cyclo touring blogging and successive social media contacts. Same situation as with Jan over in Siem Reap by the way. Very emotional moment for me! Imagine you edit a journal containing a more or less detailed plan and your friends decide to fly in from Australia and Singapore or come down by train from Bangkok to ride with you over the last few days of this trip. I feel extremely privileged and honoured!

Starting off as a passenger....
Heart 3 Comment 0
....but being in the driving seat was certainly more fun
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just a couple of kilometers down the road I got the "men at work" photo I was after
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another scorcher...
Heart 1 Comment 0
....but I found that nice little stall preparing exactly what I felt like. This kale with sausage dish was brilliant!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here they are: Bob (California), Andrew (Sydney/Oz), Chris and Coleen (Singapore)
Heart 0 Comment 7
Andrea BrownHi Chris and Coleen! (we met you at Chiang Dao and climbed some hills together, well, you rode and we walked/pushed) Have a fun ride and try to stay cool.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
jan houtermansAll the best to you cyclists from Austria. We have wonderful warm weather at the moment and had our first swim of the season yesterday. BTW, is it a Wiener Schnitzel on the plate in the center?

Gabi & Jan
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Chris WeeTo Andrea BrownYes Andrea and Bruce. Very fond memories of that trip reaching Ang Kang at 7.45 pm without any room reservations. Now we're dealing with a heatwave n headwinds.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Frank RoettgenTo jan houtermansThe whole group returns you best wishes to Vienna, Jan. The food that caught your attention is not a Wiener Schnitzel but an omelette "Wiener Art"....
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Coleen LeongTo Andrea BrownHi Andrea we always talk and think fondly of you & Bruce 😃Hope we get to cycle together again in Thailand.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Coleen LeongHi Coleen! That was a lot of fun celebrating Chinese New Year up in Northern Thailand (except for the steep hills). We have two videos from our trip, one about Vietnam and the other about Thailand and you and Chris make cameo appearances in the latter. Sadly, it is not online because of a copyrighted song so we’ll have to find some kind of workaround so you can see it. In any case, we hope to be wheels down in Thailand again before too terribly long. XoxoAndrea
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Coleen LeongTo Andrea BrownWe were glad to have celebrated CNY with you guys. Would love to see your videos one day. Let us know when you are planning your next trip to Asia. Keep well. Hugs
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Nightriders at the mandatory clocktower in Trang
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thank you Andrew! What´s good enough for the Australian surfers must be giving my nose some relief too
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thung Song - Trang
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 5,909 km (3,669 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0