Reality check - A little French Odyssey - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2023

Reality check

La Barre-de-Monts to Brétignolles

So this was my meltdown day. I rode 50km, including a luggage less run to the supermarket at the end of the day, and was so tired that I couldn't even face the thought of going down to the beach. We will try to shrink the distances a bit from now and train it home from La Rochelle, which is probably worth a visit in its own right. A girl's gotta do...

Pretty place for a meltdown
Heart 2 Comment 0

I guess the old me, the one before I lost that year to doctors, hospitals and horrid drugs, is further away than I thought she was. 

But despite tears, meltdowns and more headwinds it was a beautiful, beautiful ride, with long stretches along the coast, quiet roads, smooth gravel trails and a perfect hard pack trail to take us into Brétignolles at the end of the day. I have an ocean view from my luxury room and a sunset view at the end of the day. Day Three is always tough.

Low tide
Heart 1 Comment 0

We started on a hybrid of road, Vélodyssée and Google, until Google tried to steer us along a forest road with deep, deep sand.

No, Google. This trail won't work for loaded road bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

So we detoured back to the proper trail and up the never ending ladder to the sky for a gorgeous view of forest and sea.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

And on to the hotel, with coast and villages and a short sandwich break while Arlene and Christina went swimming. Tomorrow is supposed to be a crosswind, which should be easier.

Food always helps
Heart 1 Comment 0
Le trou de diable
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the coast
Heart 1 Comment 0

Accommodation: Hotellerie les Brisants. Very clean and right by the ocean. Restaurant was closed Mondays (and Tuesdays) so we biked to the nearby supermarket and had a picnic on C+C's balcony. They were asking €19 for breakfast, so we passed. Bike parking in the big underground garage.

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 227 km (141 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0