Ferrara - The Grand Tour - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2023

Ferrara

This morning instead of visiting the sights in this beautiful city, we get on our bikes and ride to the edge of town where there are outlets and a kind of shopping mall. Janos needs something for his camera. While I wait outside and watch the bikes, I entertain myself with my camera.

Cute guys at the electrical appliances store. I should have gone in.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mirror puzzle
Heart 4 Comment 0
Selfie
Heart 2 Comment 0

 We are discovering how different bicycle and pedestrian trafficc is here from Germany. Basically, it is kind of chaotic, ... or perhaps just more flexible and tolerant. In Ferrara the small streets in the old part of town are busy with bicycles weaving in and out. Although people ride slowly in general, no one wears a helmet and no one uses a bell or calls out to warn you that they are coming. Every little opening in the flow is used to squeeze through, occasionallyy cutting someone off. In Germany people would be shouting Dummkopf or worse if you did that. Red lights and one way streets are observed at one's discretion.

While seated at a cafe for lunch, Janos parks his bike like the rest of the bikes,  jutting out into the road. Oops, a police car comes and can't get through. Everyone jumps to get their bikes out of the way and both Janos and I are alarmed that there might be a fine for obstructing the lane. No, we are not in Germany. The police thanks Janos for moving his bike. Of course, my observations are clichés. I know Italians can be unexpectedly rigid and Germans surprisingly casual.

Making room for the police
Heart 3 Comment 0

Yes, we do get out for a walk in the late afternoon. I get some pictures of the Palazzo dei Diamanti and the Castello Estense, and then my camera battery dies. Just as well, I don't need more pictures. Just looking is sometimes good.

The marble facade of the Palazzo dei Diamanti is amazing.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Palazzo dei Diamanti facade
Heart 8 Comment 0
Palazzo dei Diamanti again
Heart 7 Comment 0
Il Castello Estense, sunny side
Heart 5 Comment 0
Il Castello Estense
Heart 4 Comment 0
Il Castello Estense again
Heart 5 Comment 0
Two riders
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 917 km (569 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Nancy GrahamYour mirror puzzle really IS a puzzle!
I can relate to the ‘no camera moments’ when you either run out of battery or forget to bring your camera. I sometimes think it is an exercise for your brain and eyes to notice what you see without a camera to record it. That said, I so appreciate every photo you take!!
Are you ever going home?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamWe have two more weeks!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachael AndersonFerrara is such a great place!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago